A meeting this year for the 20th birthday of Dungeon Master?

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

When would you like to meet?

September 1-2
No votes
September 8-9
80%
September 15-16
No votes
September 22-23
No votes
September 29-30
20%

Total votes: 5

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, I would've been free any day, but having recently managed to acquire myself a job, I suppose I'll have to book days off or something for it now. I'll have to ask at work about it or something, if I know the exact date(s)...is it still the 6th of September?
Assuming I can get off work, getting to London is no problem - about 45 mins to Victoria on the train and then the Tube to wherever. All by myself. Waaahhh :'(.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Aww, no ora?

Soudns like Sept 6th is the day, and well done on the job acquisition thingie!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, I dunno, she may fancy coming...I'll ask...though I just checked and it looks like the 6th is a Thursday so she might be at college on that day. I'll see about getting the 6th off, if that's definitely when it's gonna be :).
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

After all that discussion to find a date I count on the 6th. Of course I'd have preferred a weekend, but I wouldn't want to force a weekend on the cost of not having Beo and Linflas on board.

If now suddenly everyone says they won't get a day off we'd have to cancle that I think, and that's exactly what I'm trying to find out before booking a flight.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i would have prefered a weekend but if i manage to book thursday sept. 6th, that means i have to book friday too, so that i can visit a bit more london.
let's get more precise :
- anyone here on friday ? saturday ? sunday ? i guess non-uk people have to plan their flight/train quite early for less cost so they may need to know how many days they stay there.
- sleeping organization : anyone for housing ? hotels recommended ? anyone interested in room sharing ? most of low-cost companies have packs flight+hotel or train+hotel. i prefer to save a bit money and spend it for beers ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Basically I would definitely be around for Thursday evening and probably most of Friday - whether I would fly from London the next day and stay overnight, or what I would do not sure.

As I said, I don't mind organising something like hiring a small venue for the evening (depends on how expensive the costs are in London), sicne we now seem to have the date

So what would people like? Resteraunt area to ourselves, proper function room with food drink where we can set up computers etc (don't know if that might even include net access) or just an up-market pub to relax in for an evening?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Since it seems I can rely on thirstday 6th by now - I've been thinking about coming earlier or staying longer to have an additional couple of days in London. Seems it'd make sense to stay for the follwoing weekend.

Housing: Being a poor student I'd love to find someone who could offer me some space for a sleeping bag, but then, I wouldn't want to make those few people among us I know to have to decide whom of us contintenals to host and whom to reject due to limited space, so I'll probably take a B&B. Last time I've been in London I had a B&B in the London periphery I was very satisfied with, but I gotta look up which one it had been (I'm currently not at home and don't remember the name anymore, it's been too long ago), I'l report back if I had an opportunity to do so.

Imho London is a place where you don't have to die from boredom, so if anyone else beside me would stay for more than just thursday, I'm sure we'll have fun.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Our of mere memory and a bit of googling I think it's been the Melrose House in Penge, but to make sure I'll have to doublecheck when I'm home again.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I dunno if getting the Thursday/Friday off will be a problem (since I haven't asked yet, mind you it is over two months away), but though getting to and from London isn't a problem for me, whatever we might be doing I wouldn't fancy heading home too late at night, since when I get back to Chatham it's a half-hour walk to home from the station, down the high street, past some pubs and stuff...
Mind you, if my friend can go, then it'll be okay. But I dunno if she can go 'cause I haven't asked her about it yet either, lol.
Aaanyway, umm...yeah...I'll see about getting the 6th and 7th off work anyway.
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, for you Londoners, even if you don't get a day off coming over for a couple hours with us in a pub could be nice too.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Oh, and booking a venue - how 'bout an Internet cafee during the early evening, and some classical pub later the evening? We could still do something else earlier the day if we want to and someone has a nice idea.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I've booked a flight and a b&b now, I'll be in London from wednesday september 5th to monday september 10th and stay at the Melrose House ( www.uk-bedandbreakfast.com )

The flight with Ryan air is really cheap, 1 cent + airport fee.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Cool, if you are breakfast and beddeded, then that gives an idea of the rough location we should aim for for festivities

Not sure about an internet cafe though...I'd personally try to get a multi-functional space for a few hours and see if anyone wants to take laptops!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i keep this B&B in mind for myself too :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If anyone is strapped but would like a room for an evening or two then yell - I don't mind covering it!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Beo, I'm amazed at the level of suport you're offering! Great community spirit that is! MF-room is ok with me of course, I just don't know how available things like public wlans and hot-spots are in UK, but I suppose you know.

Linflas: Well, of course it'd be nice to have you there in Penge too (its about 15 minutes with train/tube from London central if I remember correctly). However, I also remember that it was usually well booked and only has a so much rooms, so it's usually recommendable to book a bit in advance (shouldn't be that much of a problem though since September isn't main tourist season in UK).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Seems fair to anyone who travels from europe that we in the UK do our bit too! Perhaps I can get together with Gambit later and scout out some places, will have to look for suitable places and free up a weekend or something!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Any ideas what kind of things we might be doing yet? I don't wanna go anywhere loud :P. I'd rather go somewhere quieter where we can sit and have conversations. I'll see if I can convince my friend to come along 'cause then I won't mind going home later. Otherwise I'd be wanting to head off at, like 8pm or something, depending on where I'd be getting the train from. I'm not really an expert on the layout of London but once we have some kind of venue and I know which Tube station it's nearest, I'll be sorted ;) (can just get the train to Victoria, about 45 min trip, and go from there).
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

"TRAVEL FROM EUROPE!" Argh! You Brits never learn it, do you ?!? ;-)

Best evidence I ever found about the existence of the hidden sixth continent called UK was a mere weather report in a British newspaper: "Due to heavy storms the continent had been cut off for several hours". I remember - first thing I thought was "Aw, poor continent!"

It's funny that most Brits I know regard UK to be politically and geographically something that doesn't have to do anything with that farfaraway Europe.
ParuNexus
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

I have one idea that is a bit of a stretch but should work.
My normal weekend is friday and saturday
I'm going to be at a convention sunday and monday (9\2 & 9\3). instead of asking work for for my holiday(1 day off) on the 2nd, I can put a request for vacation that week(must be from sunday to saturday).
I'm currently looking at a delta flight(cheepest so far).

9\5 London (LGW) Arrive 10:45 am from Atlanta (ATL) Delta 58
9\9 London (LGW) Depart 11:00 am

thats my current plan, I have no idea how long it takes my company to approve vacation.

Won't confirm anything till work approves vacation. I would however like to know about nature\health foods around, As I have reactions to alot of the most basic foods. Like Wheat, oranges, tomatoes being the ones I need to plan around.

if there is other expanse's even common ones, please post, so that people can plan how much money they will need.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There are some poeple with serious food allergies (an ex-boyfriend of a friend even had the manager of a resteraunt go through the menu with his as he was allergic to all spices, and you have no idea until you ask what continas spices!)

Will hopefully be in a position to start researchign thigns later on next week, and so will add that concern to the list.

Common expenses - travel (a few pounds for tube travel, £5 - 10 for taxi travel around the centre), food (easily £5-10 for a basic meal if you need to stick to resteraunts, going up to say £20 - 25 for a large evening meal if it's a night out)...hmm, can't think of anythign else of the top of my head, but I am tired!

Accomodation
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

For a comfortable 2 person B&B in Penge I pay 60 pounds sterling per night including breakfast, but I'm sure there are cheaper ones.

Meals - as you can guess it depends on the quality you insist on. I personally don't share the prejudices about bad English cuisine. I love English cuisine, especially the Indian English cuisine, the Nepalesian English cusine and the Indonesian English cuisine.

But seriously - I love English breakfast except for baked beans. Only time my girlfriend an me accepted continental breakfast in UK was when we spontaneously decided to have another night in Brighton on our way back from Tintagel to Dover and everything was booked out except that chique lesbian&gay hotel we found a room in :-)
ParuNexus
Adept

no go :(

Post by ParuNexus »

sorry, i keep forgetting to post this, After that last message I went to work and asked about vaction time, I have the hours. that specific week was off limits. when i checked all the other weeks in september as well had people requesting a week off as well. Since I can't get the time off work I can't make it. I really hoped to join you all. Have a good time :) if someone could take pictures or post what happens that would be so cool!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, what sdhould have been happening this weekend is that I looked into this

What's actually going to happen is I am goign to have to fight my way around London to get my India visa so probably won't be able to look into stuff until the weekened after :(
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

so who's couch am I sleeping on?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

eh ? you come ?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hey Cows, glad to hear you can attend too! I assumed that the flight would be just to expensive for Canadians and Americans.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

not certain if I can. that's where the couch comes in :).

btw I am using a PS3 to write this. it's a lot slower to type with than the wii if you don't have a usb keyboard that is. :p

but the res is awesome
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

RIGHT!

Apologies all, lots of distractions major and minor and other commitments keep getting in my way from getting my head around helping organise this or organise this or whatever!

And sadly, my next two weekends and part of the start of next week will be tied up. I have the weekend just before the meeting free, and basically most weekday nights free, bar distracting phonecalls and so forth.

So, between tying up a few things, recovering from weird work, and getting my India trip finalised, I will gte my head around arrangements.

So, what do we need:

1: Who's coming

Ok, so can everyone re-confirm the meeting, which will baring bad luck somwhere both commutable from Penge and commutable from the centre of London. Or in one of those two areas.

I'm going, but my availablility is limited to Thursday afternoon/evening and durng the day friday. My flight is first thing Saturday morning :(

2: Get and split resources

Since this is so monumentous, and I'm not actually having to travel anywhere far (woohoo) then that leaves me say £500 - 1000 to devote to this important getting together.

So that's for venue, or if we want anything there, but probably would also stretch to covering say a person's trip, or person's accomoodation, or stuff of that nature.

And what else can anyone here offer? I can't offer accomodation I'm afraid due to my small living space and need to bugger off. Anyone else? Anyone have a friend of a friend with. Anyone have a laptop or excitng projector equipment if we want to have some comps or soemthing? Etc.

3: What are we doing?

My idea was to try to get some venue, either a hall or very nice pub or whatever for a day. For preference, somewhere that would have wi fi and set up comps (I have a laptop) so if anyone wants to show off art, games, anything we could. We could basically set up for sharing Dm stuff, then just either having an organised meal or simply a relaxed gathering. As I said, I haven't gotten my head aroudn this - any tentative searches I did just yielded too many results. Tying it to areas that make it easy for Lunever to commute to is helpful, but I never got back to this properly.

Ok, my brain is alreayd fried from work and from needing to get something done - but this is where my brain's at!

The forum's been slightly quieter recently, probably as real life and so forth distracts alot of us, and hey, it is the summer allegedy, so apologies if I've not had the reminder to get into this. Three months have seemed to disappear in the blink of an eye so I'm shocked by the fact it's not months but weeks now! :(

Anyway, that was all!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Remind me again - what is the date?

As I said before, I'm not bothered about the DM aspects of this, but it would be nice to meet people "just because". I actually now live very close to Penge strangely enough and there is a spare room in the house I'm in. It's possible I can offer this to Cows for the duration of the weekend, if Lunever has already found himself somewhere to stay, but I can't make any promises until I've spoken to my landlady.