Advice/Help required.

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
lord soth 75
Adept

Re: Advice/Help required.

Post by lord soth 75 »

aaarghhh

i just mount the iso into the [DT-0] (E:) thing

and the game installed.

I tried to start a new game,and its saying 'Not enough memory' :evil: :evil:
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm. Is there a set up file as well as a game launch file? Something where it can be reconfigured. I hope your computer is not too advanced and it can't spot new RAM. That would be...weird...
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

It'll be alright dude. You seem to have a good sense about what's a good idea or not. Just lacking the experience, which is nothing to be ashamed of. Some computer dorks out there might act superior and sneer if a new-to-computers person asks questions, but that's just cuz they are such parent's-basement-dwelling losers with low self-esteem that they relish the thought of being able to put someone else down.

And I can assure you, those kind of people aren't on this board!

Not getting a virus/spyware is about 40% know-how/virus protection and 60% that gut feeling of "Hmm...something about this link/download/website doesnt seem right." And also not being afraid to ask questions! :D
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

beowuuf wrote:Hmm. Is there a set up file as well as a game launch file? Something where it can be reconfigured. I hope your computer is not too advanced and it can't spot new RAM. That would be...weird...
There is a Championship manager icon on the desktop.
There is a Daemon tools icon on laptop.

If i click on Daemon icon......It takes me to a screen and CM.ISO is under 'Recently used images'
There is a graphic at bottom of this screen (like a picture of a disc drive) [DT-0] (E:)
And CMO 102 Is apparantly 'in' that DT thing.

I cant find anything that says Run EXE

Hmmm. Let me have another try,and see if i get the 'not enough memory' message again.

:evil: Computers!!
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If you right click on the desktop icon, and go to properties, and then 'find target folder' (since it will be a shortcut) you may be able to fidn the folder with a set up file or .exe :)
raixel

Post by raixel »

K, I researched it for you a bit, It seems to be a common problem among XP/Vista users.

Try this:
Right click on the game icon. Then click on "properties". You should see "compatibilty". Click on it to pull up the compatibility menu. Make sure "run in compatibilty mode for win 98" is selected, then click "apply" at the bottom.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@LordSoth: Hang on, I'm confused.... you said you downloaded Championship Manager 2001/2, but later said you were looking forward to playing with 2012 stats....? I don't know anything about this game, but are you saying that this old game will update itslef or something -- I don't think that is the case.

Anyway, the "out of memory" is probably because it's not compatible with your version of Windows. Did you try the compatibility stuff I wrote about the other day? Look back in the thread for a link I gave to help you.

EDIT: I posted at the same time as others. Try their compatibility suggestions.
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

Gambit37 wrote:@LordSoth: Hang on, I'm confused.... you said you downloaded Championship Manager 2001/2, but later said you were looking forward to playing with 2012 stats....?

Haha.
Thats phase 2 my friend.
Apparantly,the community playing this game (despite it being over 10 years old) release patches for the game at the beginning of each new season,and have been doing so ever since Eidos stopped making these games (and the franchise changed name to Football manager)

On the Official CM 01/02 Web site there are downloads available so you can update the game to modern times.

Just tried the game again by clicking on the CM Icon,...and the game is working!! But the fans on my laptop are going crazy, sound like jet fighter engines!!

Regarding the game updates.....You just know what my next question will be :wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

At least there has been progress!
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

beowuuf wrote:At least there has been progress!

Im still not sure if iv done it right or not. But,the game is working fine...for now.

I am supposed to start playing the game by just clicking on the CM desktop icon arent i? Thats what iv been doing.
I mean..do i ever need to do anything with Daemon again,until i want to put another game there to mount?

Im confused as to why my computers internal fan is blowing loudly though when the game is running.I would expect it if i was trying to play on a graphically amazing game...but there are hardly ANY graphics in CM.
And my laptop is only a few years old.Its not bogged down by lots of applications and programmes ect.
raixel

Post by raixel »

That I don't know, cuz I dont use Daemon.
But about the fans. It *only* happens when that game is running? Do you know how to check your task manager to see the amount of the CPU currently in use? If you dont, right click on the taskbar. You should see "Start task manager". Click on it.

Now, on the bottom of the screen, there should be a bar that says Processes: # CPU usage: #% and Physical Memory #%.

The CPU Usage should be changing numbers as you watch. Look at what the number is when the fan is quiet, then start the game so that the fan gets loud. Use Alt+Tab to get back to the desktop, and check the CPU usage. If for some reason the number is smaller when the game isnt running, then gets way bigger when the fan is loud, its eating up processing power, causing the fans to turn on to keep your computer cool.
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

@ raixel

i changed the compatability to Windows 98.Whilst there i noticed there is option there also to change the colours to 256, will lowering the colours help the fan?

I'll warn you all.
My next set of annoying questions will be about 'how do i install the 2012 update to what i am currently playing'

Im such a dummy with computers,and i hugely appreciate all of your help folks.
This forum is brilliant.
raixel

Post by raixel »

I really don't think changing the colors to 256 will make a difference, as fans only (when they're working right) go on high when the inside of the computer gets hot and/or you are using a lot of processing power(which makes the computer hot, esp a laptop). So if your laptops been on for a while, the fans go on high to cool it, if you normally have it on a table, then have it on your lap for a while, the fans go on high cuz your lap is more heat absorbent than the table. Or if its using a lot of power.

Just running an older game should not cause this, as it shouldnt make a dent in your computer's capabilities.

Did you check the task manager to see what your CPU usage was at before and after starting the game? The reason why I ask is cuz if you start the game and your CPU usage skyrockets, *something* isn't right there. Not necessarily something bad like a virus, so don't start tweaking out. Its most likely a memory problem. But knowing if the CPU and memory usage jumps real high is important.

And no, I don't mind answering questions, although im not a pro and my knowledge is very basic compared to some people on here. But if I don't know the answer, I'll tell you that and give it my best educated guess. Then hopefully someone will be able to point out the answer who knows more than me. And I''d be happy to show you how to patch your game.
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

@ raixel

Thanks man.
Im going to play a full 2001/02 season (just so i can get used to the game) before i download the 2012 update.

I think there is another download you have to make in order for the 2012 update to work.
I'll find the links for the relevant downloads and put them in this thread,then you more computer savvy people will hopefully be able to guide me through the process again.

CM 01 is working fine.
The only problem with the game is the strain it places on my eyes.Its a mainly stat driven game...and after an hour or so of playing it you have got a banging headache.