What do you think you would try?

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Re: What would you try?

Post by Trantor »

Sorry Duckman, it was just an obscure reference to a German comedian (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_lFRSrxas for details; go to 2:35 to see a spoof video clip of a fictious Finnish band). I don't know anything Helsinki, but I live in a large city myself and actually quite enjoy it.

Anyway, sorry for dragging this off-topic.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

A German comedian? :shock:

:roll: :wink:

(sorry, Trant, someone just had to say that, nothing against...)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

For Trantor: Ok ok everyone has opinions, just try to not swear in future. Berlin has over 3 mil inhabitants am I correct? you're gotta be quite a master survivor when you can do in such jungle of road pavements, Congratulations!

Hey, that is a good idea for question after all!

Here goes, Question 6 by Duckman: You have to survive in two evrioments for an year:

Firstly, in either Zedduke's Villain pit (Cruel and deceitful), or Alandale's Dungeon master Java (Extremely dangerous).

Secondly, in either some native village in siberia (Colder than at lapland I think), or at the sardine jar Saint Peterburg (I have been told that some people there are so far from nature that they can't even chop logs!).

To another of these you go well and propely equipped, but with only very necessary equipment to the another. You can choose which of these you take the better equipment

Remember, not 100% serious. You can say something you were not to do really.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO/ATTEMPT TO DO?
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Slightly OT and strongly biased (I just can't help myself, I probably talk too much, so ignore me):

I lived in Saint Peterburg for a few months, and I spent some time travelling across Russia by train (to the Far East). There, my antipathy against Russian culture (in a broad sense) and "institutions" became complete and absolute. Although I have many friends in Russia (but most of them are not ethnic Russians - they are Chechens and Kalmyks and from other ethnic minorities within the Russian Federation), the Russian system as a whole were a nightmare for me - and although I had known a lot about it before, I was shocked by many things. If there are any Russians here - my apology, I don't have anything against Russians as people (or any other people, lol), most of the Russians are personally great people with open hearts and "wide" souls, friendly and fair, and I love Russian literature and music and movies - and Russian nature and landscape are simply beautiful. But the system and "institutions" are simply not my cup of tea. :(

If I link this personal experience with the Czech history after 1948, I can say only: I would choose anything, but as far from Russia or lands governed by Russians as possible. So, to return to Duckman's question, I would rather choose both "Zedduke's Villain pit (Cruel and deceitful)" AND "Alandale's Dungeon master Java (Extremely dangerous)". :)

Sorry if I have offended anyone - I don't mean it personally, really. (I'd better shut up)
Oxman
Novice

Post by Oxman »

I would choose Alandale's Dmjava, fountains at start and some screamers around. I would use them to survive without having to descend, so I would have to fight only rockpiles in max, which I would take care by taking the rocks covering them out. And mummies... well, easy with burning torch.

I would choose Siberia because of Jan's speaks.

Siberia would be where I take the better equipment, as there are already so much at dungeons.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Oxman: some thinking apparently...

Jan: You are right: Russia and Russians are nice, but state of Russia is bad. Wheteher of the dungeons would you take your better equipment?

No new questions... hopefully next time
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

No guestions rite now... so no answers either. I should probaly try to make a new one.

Ahh, I realise why no one is making. There are no ideas. Well I give you one:

Zed5duke is making dungeons faster than anyone else, that might be a good starting point for a guestion... post away if you get an idea what to ask. I do not have an idea now but I'll try to get one for next time.

Do a guestion if you think you have even a slightest idea what it would be like, if you have even a bit spare time. It does not have to be carefully made. Just do one and you can be certain at least someone answers it (me at least). Or if you can't do a guestion try to give me and other people an idea about what to do the guestion.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Maybe people can't think of a question, maybe people are busy,maybe a mixture. I wouldn't take it personally!

So a new question: You are going away to somewhere without internet for several months. For entertainment you have a laptop, but no interesting programs. You have only time to download one dungeon - DM, CSB, DM2 or one of the custom dungeons. What one would you take?!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Conflux :)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Surgical Strike. It's been a while and I know I can finish it.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'd take my own incomplete dungeon and finish it :-)
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Aah a question. Thank you oh_brother. And you are right with that: don't take my sayings personally if you really don't for some reason have a change to make questions.

Hmm, I think i add a hall of fame to the first post where you get your name always when you do a guestion.

To answer the guestion I would probaly take nothing, as if i go somewhere for several months I'm probaly going to my military service or less likely but possibly something diving-related, and when I finally get a change to do something all-day, I would use it and leave the whole laptop be unless I am instructed to use it.

I think I use the same idea bit modified:
Next up, question 7 by Duckman:

You have been doomed to Jail for some reason (if nothing else, the Judge made a mistake). But for some reason you are after few days given a change to prove yourself a good citizen/villager/rural man/rural woman/remote liver again. But for security reasons you have very limited variety of programs and no access to internet. Your watchdog who has been ordered to watch you for 12 months that you won't do any more crimes however offers he may give you limited access to Dungeon master. That gives you some choices:

1: He offers he can deploy you RTC, it's four dungeon which come with it, the editor, and bring you a download (done with his computer) of all dungeons Zed5Duke has made, and any new dungeons he more probaly than not will make.

2: If you prefer, he can install RTC, CSBwin, DMjava and DSB for you, along with all their dungeon's except clones from original ones (original ones inducle Theron's quest and DMII), nor Zed5Duke's dungeons. He will not download any further dungeons shall anyone make them.

3: He can also let you use or buy a new game for use: any single CD or DVD game for PC, but with no internet access of course.

4: He can let you to play with any computers of you'r relatives and friends, trough you cannot use or watch anyone using internet. You can however tell you'r mate to download something from net you wish to use/play together, trough you must tell the watchdog when you do so.

5: Of course you can decline.

6: I don't think anyone would do this seriously, (But again remember this theard is NOT serious) but you can go back to jail for 6 months. Surprisingly you can use Internet and buy or bring your own games as much as you want during your free-time.

Of course if you are dishonest enough, you can try to be dishonest for your watchdog, but that means back to jail with possibly week or two more if you are caught

WHAT WOULD YOU DO/ATTEMPT TO DO?
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

In a similar spirit to Gambit's comment above, I would take RTC and learn how to use the editor - that is certain to consume a huge amount of time. I had already been toying with the idea of developing a dungeon, but in my current jail-free life I don't have time.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Learning RTC is very easy, it's almost as easy to use as DMjava editor. But you can easily kill tens of hours with it if you are not hooked to outdoors air. I know many types, inducling myself, who simply could use the whole day at computer even if had a change to. Well getting rid of 5-10 hours a day with other means if you fall to that category is not a problem considering the variety of methods to get your stream off nowadays. So much forests which are big enough to offer you quite challege in physical side but too small to get lost in... plus all those hockey and swimming halls, sporting pitches (or what they're called in english not sure) and in summer, lakes and rivers and mounds to swim on... you never get bored to the mounds, always something to do... lift rocks from bottom, dive to bottom at deep places, jump into water from high and climb out in as hard places as possible.

Oops, I am getting better at going OT than even Jan claims himself to be.
Well forums are for talking.

More answers for the latest questions?
Or perhaps even new ones? There can never be too much of them... As I said, forums are for talking, so if you have something to say, go ahead if there's anything even slightly on the topic. You won't be talking too much I promise!
For you Jan too!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Wow, I'm really famous now! :D

Wait, it's not good to be famous for bringing threads off topic... :(

Sorry, Duckman, I don't have any ideas, and no questions or answers come to my mind. :(
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Probably would take CSBuild with me (if that is allowed instead of a dungeon). I've restarted building a custom dungeon for CSBwin at least a dozen times.
Maybe a lonely island supplies the time (and patience) needed to master CSBuild.

~OT~
A German comedian?
sheeeesh...
Be sure to watch it completely. Igniting the torch after about ~2:30 min. He's a giant.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Hmm... no new questions... one reply however. Better than nothing.

Question 8 by Duckman:

You are hunting deep at forest at north Sweden, with your best friend. You get totally lost somehow. In addition if you brought them with you, your mobile phones have run out of power, but at night your friend sees brightness at the sky, which means the town you were looking for is in that direction. You head for it when morning comes, but a mountain passage blocks your way. You'r friend leaves it your opinion on what to do now. By map you are able to figure a way around the mountains, But you will have to ration your food if you do so, thus probaly getting you fairly hungry before you arrive. But at the mountain wall you see a cave, and next to it a river trough the mountain wall which flows towards the town. (banks of river are too steep, don't think about them). You can attempt trough the cave, trough there's no quarantee it will bring you trough. Swimming is easy, but you will have to anabon much of you'r equipment. Mountains are climbable degree too, (and it's summer) but climbing them still might be a bit dangerous. Turning back will almost certainly bring you to where you are going to, but you're going to suffer from hunger. WHAT WOULD YOU DO/ATTEMPT TO DO?

What I said about doing a question or talking about any question made or question making in general is still in effect and will always be. Go ahead.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I would go around the mountains - we were hunting, so we probably have rifles or other weapons, so we can hunt some animals and get some food in this way. The town cannot be too far - we got lost, but we had to get to the place somehow in a few days, so there must be a relatively short way back. And the fact that you can see brightness in the night from the town lights means that the town is not that far. :)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Well, maybe I have a question - it's an old one, but I'm interested in people's comments:

It's 1926. You're a pilot of an aeroplane with 12 passengers flying across the Sahara desert to Nigeria. Suddenly, the engines stop working and your plane crashes in mountains in the desert after you unsuccessfully attempted to land. The plane is wrecked. Only three people survived - you (32 years old, unmarried, with a girlfriend back in your country), a young woman who is pregnant (in 3rd month - it's her first baby) and a man in his 30s with a wife and three children waiting for him at home (four mouths to feed). All of you are in a good physical condition, healthy and uninjured.

You cannot call for help - the radio is broken, nobody knows about the accident, nobody knows your location, and nobody would see a fire if you made it. You have to go to the nearest oasis to get water. You have a map and a compass, you know your position, and you locate the nearest oasis. It's not that far. You know the direction and you count the distance - it's about 40 hours (let's say three days) of walk in the hot desert. The way to the oasis is very simple and straight - nobody could get lost. The problem is that you have only one bottle of water. There's not enough water for all three people - if all three go, they will definitely die before they reach the oasis. If there were only two people with this bottle, they would have a 50 % chance to reach the oasis - they may reach it, but they may die on their way. If there was only one man (woman) with this bottle, (s)he would definitely make it to the oasis and survive.

You cannot wait - you must do something, or you'll die at the wrecked plane.

What will you do? :)

PS Ahh... I would almost forget - you have a knife! :) Nobody knows about it, it's your secret!
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Jan, you are now in the hall of fame of this theard.

Answer: If there are cactuses on the desert, I would take everyone on the attempt because it's possible to get juice out of cactuses with the knife. If not, then I would send the two others to the oasis and... after they are out of sight with the bottle, I would go towards same direction trough it would be hopeless.

Excellent question, probaly best so far!
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

50th post in this theard...

Whole general forum is silent as a wall! That's fairly unusual. Everyone's at work I quess.

(When I promised you won't be talking too much I did not really except myself to be this honest!)

If you're looking for questions to reply, the one Jan made two posts above is definitely worth replying. Like Jan, i'm interested in what people say about it.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Duckman, I know you're keen for people to engage with your thread. But if people don't have anything to add, or aren't interested, they won't reply -- that's just the way forums work. You can't force people to reply to a thread by continually commenting on the lack of replies. If a thread is worth replying to, people will do so. If it isn't, they won't.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

I am not forcing at all (I can't like you said). But as you know I reply this theard twice a week, so I just had to write something. Interesting that theard "changing man" by the way, I almost regret my decision to engage only this forum. (that's probaly why I really like when someone says something, no matter what but something)

Thanks for the swift reply gambit.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, I have two offshoots of the D&D game to look after, I tend to duck out of other threads :(

I did mean to reply to Jan's questions aswell, but forgot! As to Jan's question, leave the guy at the crash site (technically speaking, it's always best to stay there) and have some sign for the direction we went, go as far as possible with the woman, not drinking, and make sure she gets to the oasis.

Nah, probably just convince people it's safer to stay by the plane, then steal the water and run for the oasis. Weeeeeeeeee

And Duckman, you can always swap around which thread you limit yourself to per week, and since this thread isn't that fast moving, include it as a bonus?
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

beowuuf wrote:go as far as possible with the woman, not drinking, and make sure she gets to the oasis.
Great! A gentleman! Very nice! :) But:
beowuuf wrote:leave the guy at the crash site
Lol, he would probably be very "keen" to stay there and watch you leaving.
beowuuf wrote:Nah, probably just convince people it's safer to stay by the plane, then steal the water and run for the oasis.
ROFL. But: you would get exhausted and run out of water!
beowuuf wrote:technically speaking, it's always best to stay there
As I said, it's 1926 and there is no chance for you to be rescued by someone else.

Actually, I constructed the "question" so that you have to decide the number of people leaving the crash site (and thus the probability of them surviving) - stying at the crash site and waiting for being rescued would be the best option in 2009, but not in 1926.

I'm surprised that nobody has found a use for the knife yet! :twisted:
Last edited by Jan on Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Duckman wrote:I would take everyone on the attempt because it's possible to get juice out of cactuses with the knife.
Not in Sahara, Duck! :twisted: That's not Mexico or southern USA!
Duckman wrote:then I would send the two others to the oasis and... after they are out of sight with the bottle, I would go towards same direction trough it would be hopeless.
Excellent solution! You're a gentleman too! :D *bows*
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I'd stab everyone, take the water, and go to the oasis, because that's the answer you're looking for in this absurdly contrived question.

My turn:

You wake up in a basement, chained to a radiator, with a saw. The saw won't cut through the chain... oh forget it.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Wait for Samuel L. Jackson to come save your soul?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I can feel a thread killing about to happen...
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

32 year old - single
young women, pregnant - (counts for 2)
30 year old, married, 3 kids and wife waiting - still a single person

The question is reduced to: who is 'worth' the most?
answer (for me): the pregnant women. Two lifes saved. Wife and kids may survive on their own. (If the survival of the man is critical for the family, then...)

There is also a rather boring way to have all of them survive: let the most healthy go for the oasis and call for help there. The others get along by digging holes and covering them with plastic film/wrap or something similar. In the cold of the night, water will condense and can be gathered by putting a can in the middle of the hole while a stone is resting on the plastic cover. In a similar way urin can be purified. If it doesn't take a lot more than a month (food becoming critical), all of them will survive.

If the single person is named Duckman (envied by all, because of his youth and a whole life still in front of him!) I'd probably tell him there is a marathon to win.
He'd be back from the oasis in no time, fully packed with soda bottles. :-)
(There is supermarket or MC gore located at the oasis, is there not?)

A similar question would be:

You have 3 workers in your company.

One of them is a average worker and does well in what he does, covering his 8-hours shift.
One of them has a genius mind, but is lazy. Most days he can leave earier than the others, because he knows how things can be done more efficient and quickly.
One of them is disabled in a way, but tries very hard to get his work done, working overtime most days.

All three do the same work and are equally productive (meaning they produce the same amount of parts).
Whos work is worth the most? Is it 'right' to have them payed equally?