Surgical Strike (stuck) *Spoilers*

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

***HUGE RIDDLE SPOILER***

Seems to me you need to solve those riddles. That one that says "What is not 'rock' but still rock" means it's that the answer is not literally "rock". But the answer is nevertheless a rock. "Members only" was slowly given away in another spoiler thread. For the last clue, try to combine the spells' symbols. (Although I think poison bolt would be more appropriate than poison cloud.) All the objects should be pretty easy to obtain, although you wouldn't be carrying them around, I should think.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Doh, I got three and was stumped by the spells one but wrote the symbols down and suddenly got it -- why do you think poison bolt is more appropriate? -- it doesn't work with that...
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Well, poison bolt has a 5 where poison gas has a 3. Neither has any 4th symbol, so maybe a mana potion would be best. Then, I also don't understand why the clue says "minus" poison gas. Maybe I don't understand it as well as I thought.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

oh kath ra plus zo ven minus oh ven = zo kath ra
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, beo got it, you must have had a lucky guess TyGuy!
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

It all makes sense now. I had really just thought to myself, 'I've got to find a spell that I can put in this alcove. Oh. Duh.' Then it started to connect to the hint on the scroll afterward.
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

O.K. I'm stuck. I think the best way to go would be to get past the "nightmare" riddle. What is with all that "You must see me, and yet not see me?" All I can think of is a magnifier or mirror, but I am currently magnifier/mirror-less. I only need one more Master Key! (Plus the Ra key)

On a sidenote, 1 is not actually prime. A prime number is divisible by 1 AND itself. Minor detail.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

No, that's not what it says. The actual riddle is "You must gaze upon me but you must not see me."

The wording is important. :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Although that definition is correct, I beleive it is a commonly held convention outside maths that 1 is counted - even arthur C Clarke did that (the monolith was supposed to have the dimensions in a ration of the square of the three primes, which he took as 1 x 4 x 9)

I guess to mathemeticians it's useless to have 1 as a prime, whereas to anyone else its logical to start with 1
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Now I've figured out another idea: I can use the see-through-walls spell. Nope; that didn't work. You can gaze upon a mirror or a magnifier or anything made of see-through/reflective material. Am I getting anywhere? I already killed a ghost down here, tapped the walls, tried feeding likely items to the faces on the wall, etc.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nope you are thinking totally in the wrong direction, except for one thing you did with the spell which was good lateral thinking, but also wrong

You were trying to see somehting while not looking directly at it (Mirror etc)

The see through walls idea was a good idead for looking directly at something yet not seeing it

You trying to se somehting while not looking directly at it
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

O.K. guys, I got it! Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any iron keys on me. I guess I'll have to find one.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Didn't want to give too much away, it's fun to solve that one! I must admit to assuming I needed an item to do it, then realised ... wait...what if I just did this instead....
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Oh, how am I to find a simple iron key?! I've used them unnecessarily before, never thinking I would NEED one sometime. All I have is a lousy turquise key, with nothing to put it in.

I do need an iron key to progress in The Nightmare, don't I?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I honestly can't remember - but what would make you think it's an iron key lock?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

There are two iron keys to be found in that area, if you pay attention to it. If you've already used one up, you can find a second one where you found the first-- yet not in the same place.

I don't want to give too much away but if you're where I think you are it'll make sense.
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

I guess I am not where you think I am, because it doesn't make sense. You're saying there is an iron key in the Nightmare area that I wouldn't have already found, right? Or do you mean near the Nightmare area?

I did some exploring near the area, and found nothing, except a bunch of stray worms roaming the level below the winged keyhole. I also looked beyond the altar to the West, and down into the Corbumite Mines to the South. You might want to know that I haven't gotten the door open that is right outside of the winged keyhole door.

Beowuuf, you may have a point. I think I did use an iron key for a stone lock once. I couldn't get to those skeletons with the SK Key button until I tried it. Most of the keyholes in SS are normal, though. This one is red and rusty looking, like all the iron keyholes I am used to.
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

It seems like every time I go for help I figure it out before I get it. I tried flicking that switch a few more times and checking the magic map, and I got somewhere. Maybe this is where those key are you are talking about.
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

O.K. I got the keys; it makes sense now.
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

Bah... where are the flasks? Both my guys are riddled with injuries and are limping around the dungeon in slow-motion.

I hate it when there aren't any flasks :(
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

The flasks are actually not bad to get compared to some dungeons. :roll:

If you've got a gold key, you can get a flask. There are two that should be easy to get-- one is just over a pit near the entrance; it's a bit of a roundabout way, but not a long one. Another one is even quicker, but a bit riskier, as it involves going rather deep into the dungeon and dodging a dragon (you can go back and kill him when you're healed up of course)
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

Got one now :)

That was just me being a bit brainless about where I'd been. I'd been through the first gold key door, fallen down a few pits then got sidetracked and started wandering about having forgotten I'd even been up there. I lay the blame at playing over several sessions and not taking notes :wink:
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

I'm taking tons of notes, not to mention the maps I'm making. I might even publish a Surgical Strike journal. I'll be ready to give a good evaluation when I finish the dungeon.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

TyGuy6 wrote:I might even publish a Surgical Strike journal. I'll be ready to give a good evaluation when I finish the dungeon.
Cool!

We haven't had so many dungeon reviews these days. It'll be something neat to see again. :)
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Seems like I've been asking for a lot of hints lately. I'm stuck at the skeleton lock in Project Venom. I did "double deception," "open your mind," (I think) and the three pit room. I even found another axe. I've tested the walls and floors, and even put yakathsar spells in all the alcoves about. I my mind not open enough?

On a side note, I hope darkness isn't permanent. I used it quite a lot, and it seems that each time makes it harder to get light again. Now I can't seem to get any more light at all.
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

I've tested the walls and floors, and even put yakathsar spells in all the alcoves about. I my mind not open enough?
Maybe not. Your mind must be very open and then you can believe that not all walls are solid. Do you have some way to alter enhance your perception?
The skeleton lock in project venom doesn't need to opened to finish the game.

That darkness thing does seem a bit of a bug.[/url]
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

I've walked through 1 fake wall to press 1 button, and I've used the see-through-wall spell. Is that all you are hinting at?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

No, it's a bit more overt. Something you may have passed over the first time around.. :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Don't be like bill clinton
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

haha nice clue