Bi weekly challenge due may 11

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I know, but I think a structure has much more atmosphere and foreboding if it looks like it might just possibly be something real. This is the problem I find with a lot of fantasy/sci fi is that some aspects are forced and exaggerated (ie axe blades bigger than the person wielding it etc) which makes them look more comical than anything else.

Now I am not saying that about Cows work: its definitley not over done and does have genuine atmospheric qualities especially combined with the rest of the pic. I'd like to see it finished. However it still has that hint of 'stereotypical fantasy' for the want of a better phase.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

PaulH: The unrealistic equipment issue in fantasy pictures are imho caused by the fact, that most fantasy artisans, now matter how skilled in their art per se, are not LARP players or re-enactors and thus never have used real, physical medieval or fantasy equipment and thus just can't imagine how an axe or warhammer actually have to be designed in order to allow them to be actually wielded efficiently.

I notice this very often in DnD illustrations - often good work from a painter's view, but completely unacceptable regarding equipment involved.

BTW I don't think that picture to be too stereotypical.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

except if you talk about john howe.. :) I think it was howe.. who had designed armour and weapons for LOTR.. having made armour for himself knew what was needed and what was realistic.

man.. I never knew I could draw so much controversy with a sketch :)

moo
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

No pun intended? ;)
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

John Howe is a genius, I've been admiring his work years before anybody ever announced that there would be a LoR movie.

The strange thing is that albeit it's neigh to impossible John Howe among all those artists who created paintings about the LoR theme paints his pictures absolutely exactly like I've always been visually imagining LoR.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I know this is a bit late, but -you know how it is..
this is a schloss in Nurnberg.
http://www.ljplus.ru/img/b/a/baranchiki ... ie-198.jpg
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Good pic Zoom. The towers look positively evil!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

So, who won?!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I dunno... was there supposed to be a winner? this is for photographers to get their practice at photographing, and artists to practice their artisting :)
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Actually, I did not take this photograph by myself! It was made by a friend of one of my friend's girlfriend who visited from moscow;
So much for practicing photographing :? but it was very recently taken (3 Weeks approx).

Having a winner would be cool, but seeing the gloomy structures was "fun" nevertheless!

@PaulH
Today I wondered whether snails can on purpose "jump off" of a stick for example(or fall). So can they unleech themselves quickly from surfaces once they are attached? I guess no.
They do creep up on trees when it is raining, most likely because they want to eat rotten tree bark etc,and they don't get treaded down that way. I think they are quite intelligent, for they will remember the very salad they visited the day before - to protect their food supply maybe.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Challenge just conjured up images of competitions and winners!

Snails can eventually fall of things, but it takes time. They usually go up trees to shag other snails.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I watched this shag thing of snails recently on tv(accidentially). They form sort of a spiral - my memory has blanked out some bits but it was absolutely more than weird!!!!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, if you guys wanted to pick a winner.. I can't.. I made one of them :P
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I'll pick the winner, as I didn't enter.

Me! I win!

Ok, hope you all had fun, let's do this again.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

:shock: rule number one.. never dissagree with a woman.

especially one with a carving knife.. not that she has one.. but you never can tell how quickly she might be able to grab one...

:shock:

that is all...
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

PaulH, you mentioned three temples...
I am afraid they cannot lead you to victory anymore,
but nevertheless- and more importantly - regardless of that you can still post them here![:idea:] :D

I am eager to see those, so please post asap or btw.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, well, as I got a cool avatar I vote for Sophia too...

lol, Democracy: It Just Doesn't Work