Best Four Champions...

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Re: Best Four Champions...

Post by Trantor »

Ian Clark wrote:My favourite party has got to be Linflas, Leif, Mophus and Chani
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

Maybe edit his portrait first, mind you ;)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I can remember my first ever team: Halk, Leyla, Gothmog and Mophus. All the journeyman.

Nowadays I take just one or two characters as I find four bogs me down too much, and you can develop high levels quicker with two. I prefer cold steel, and have found Stamm to be the best character - his stamina drains more slowly than any other character. Leif and Hawk usually for the second character as they are strong, plenty of health and a little mana to build on. Find Hissssa and Darou to fatigue to quickly, and any of the high mana people to be useless lol.

Sonja probably has the best secondary stats.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Back in the day I only based my picks on character, not on any stats (being 10 or so I probably would not have had the ability to appraise all the different variables and decide who was best!).

So Gothmog, because he was cool and reminded me a bit of Raistlin from the Dragon Lance books.

Syra, because even at 10 years old she made me feel warm and funny (and she does NOT have a beard, God damn it!!)

Alex, because he was handsome and in the story he was in love with Syra.

The fourth was very variable, but the main ones were Zed (because I was a bit of a royalist) or Stamm (because even though I associated more with human characters he was a good secondary character, a kind of friend for my main Alex/Gothmog characters)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ooh, another DragonLance fan :D. Can't say I've ever considered comparing any of the DM chars to any DL ones though. Gothmog would need golden eyes, surely? ;)
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

My favourite party is Stamm, Hisssa, Gothmog & Nabi. The only one who can't cast at the start is Stamm. But once you start finding items that give you mana, you can start him down the wizarding path too... I've always loved the thought of hurling fireballs at things.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Gothmog would need golden eyes, surely? ;)
Ha ha, yes, Gothmog would need golden eyes. But I once used the paint program in CSB to make a DragonLance party. I changed Gothmogs robes to red and eyes to yellow to get Raistlin (I remember I had to call him "Rastlin" because you were not given enough characters for the name, it annoyed me!! :lol: ). I also changed Zed to Tanis, and I think Halk to Caramon. Can't remember my fourth char, but probably it was changing Stamm to Flint.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Haha, groovy :D. So no Tasslehoff then? He's always been my favourite. I suppose you'd have to take Boris, dye his hair and add in the topknot or something. I suppose Elijah could be Fizban (looking quite confused as to where his hat is, of course). Sonja would have to be Tika (the red hair). Syra's gotta be Laurana. Who else...Sturm. Well, Leif's got a big moustache - you could just change his hair colour ;).
Ooh crap, I forgot Goldmoon and Riverwind...hmm, well, I'm not sure who would fit those two. Anyway, I think I'm slowly dragging this thread away from its topic (woohoo ;)) so I'd better leave it to drift back again a bit ;).
Novice

Post by andilist »

Hello everyone,

a always played with Tiggy, Wuuf, Mophus and Boris.

Now that I know that characters with originally no mana can get mana by magical objects or by becoming priest by "warcry" my next pick will be a group of champions with much stronger characters.

Kind regards,

Andi
Dungeon Master - The best game ever on my AMIGA => Now it´s running again on my PC
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Back in the day, I always used Boris, Tiggy, Gando and Wuuf because they had the most mana. I didn't know how important Wisdom is and didn't realize that melee is usually more effective than spellcasting.
Today, I'd say there are a few champions who are better than the others. These include:
- Stamm: High strength, hitpoints and stamina, plus he has an Axe which is a very good weapon until the midgame.
- Boris: High wisdom and mana, and relatively high stamina for a spellcaster (and he's still my favourite :wink:)
- Wuuf: High mana, comes with a flask, and somehow seems to gain levels a tiny bit faster than other, though this is probably imagination
- Chani: Highest wisdom, and comes with a Moonstone
- Hissssa: Highest strength and respectable amount of mana for a fighter
andilist
Novice

Post by andilist »

Trantor wrote:Wuuf: High mana, comes with a flask, and somehow seems to gain levels a tiny bit faster than other, though this is probably imagination
Hello Trantor,

I believe that Wuuf regenerates mana much quicker than my other magicians Tiggy, Mophus and Boris. In my opinion Boris gains levels quicker than the others. :?:

Kind regards,

Andi
Dungeon Master - The best game ever on my AMIGA => Now it´s running again on my PC
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

The first team my dad and I took into the dungeon was Zed, Linflas, Chani and Boris, way back when DM was new. A bit weak on the fighting, I guess. We got stuck and eventually restarted the game. Odd what you remember for 20+ years!

These days I prefer to play with two-champion parties, my last foray being Sonja and Chani. Girl power! :P

I tried once with three, but it seemed to offer all of the disadvantages of the full four, without having the fourth person there to help out. So I think 1, 2 and 4 are probably the best numbers of champions to take. :)
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Quite often I've found that only having one champion is often the most effective... I'd have to say Hisssa for me, as stated above good fighter, with enough mana to build upon. Then there's the benefit of only having only one mouth to feed and water. Also, having ALL the xp go into one character, makes them very powerful, very quickly.

Also the old "turn to dodge a fireball" trick is quite handy, once you learn to time it right :P

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Lord_BoNes wrote:Also the old "turn to dodge a fireball" trick is quite handy, once you learn to time it right :P
Also, you have to know HOW TO TURN, I mean on which side. It happens to me all the time that I turn on the wrong side dodging a fireball, happy how smart am I, and BANG! SMASH! BOOM! D'OH!, surprised how dead am I.

Now I only play with a single character, not only because he gains experiences faster, but also because I kind of develop better relationship with the character, I can identify myself with him better... I mean, I can easier imagine that I am that champion - whereas if you play with more characters, it's hard to imagine you're all of them, if you know what I mean.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Ameena wrote:So no Tasslehoff then? .
No, I liked Tas but Raistlin was by far my favourite. Good ideas for the other characters (esp Sturm). Don't know about Riverwind and Goldmoon though, I think you would have to be very talented with paint or else whatever character you chose would just be a very tenuous link to them.

Back fully on topic I started the game again, I reincarnated Gothmog and he has been pretty good, lots of mana as you advance levels. Alex is not as good as I remember, basically my two fighters (Azizi and Sonja) do all the work. And of those two Sonja is kicking more ass.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lots of people seem to like Raist best. He is cool but kender win it for me, every time :).
I used to play with four characters all the time. I'd never even considered playing with less than that before I joined here and saw people talking about solo runs etc. That was when the idea first occurred to me that you could actually play with less than four, lol. i can remember back on the Atari often taking Hawk and Hissssa as my first two chars. I can also definitely remember taking Boris quite often. Can't remember who my fourth character used to be. I did of course also take Azizi at least once (mentioned her in a post somewhere yesterday). I have tried with any combinatino of less-than-four, and find that I don't like three for pretty much the reasons stated by Soph above. I don't like going solo much because I just ran out of space/went into the yellow and got completely stuck partway through CSB (stuck in a small room with regenerating spiders down the corridor - that bit with the four ways each with a door down it and the spiders come up very time you step on the pad in the centre which opens all the doors...anyway I was stuck in a dead-end room down one of those corridors and didn't have the mana to blast my way out but retreating to sleep every time meant I had to kill the spiders again when I had to step on the pad, so I couldn't get anywhere). And stuff did take longer to kill as well, since I couldn't even do a one-two with Fireballs.
I definitely prefer to take a pair. You can still do the turn thing to avoid Fireballs, have enough inventory space to carry essentials without going into the yellow, and half the number of people among whom to share out the exp :D. My preferred couple are (reincarnated) Hissssa and Wuuf. If I wasn't so biased toward taking people who don't look boringly human, I might (or if more DM chars didn't look that way) then I might have another pair altogether, who knows? Anyway, my solo run was with (reincarnated) Wuuf. Poor doggy wasn't strong enough by himself. Or I just wasn't playing it right ;). Meh.
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Ameena wrote: I used to play with four characters all the time. I'd never even considered playing with less than that before I joined here and saw people talking about solo runs etc.
Me either. I did see people talking about this on the forums before I started, but because I have never finished CSB I am still a bit scared of it (childhood experiences leave a deep mark) and I wanted the best chance. I suppose I could just kill off two if they get too much. I think I would definitely keep reincarnated Gothmog, and then a tough fighter, probably Sonja (reincarnated again)
Sandman
Apprentice

Post by Sandman »

4: Daroou, Sonja, Wuuf & Tiggy or Gando.
3: Sonja, Azizi, Chani
2: Daroou, Wuuf
1: Elija

Gothmog is also a very good choice.
creating balance since 1987
andilist
Novice

Post by andilist »

Good morning everyone,

just for my information: Does it really matter which characters I choose for my party if I´m going to level them up (almost) to the max? There would be only very little differences in the end compared to the statistics at the beginning.

Is that correct? :?:

Kind regards,

Andi
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I've always chosen them pretty much
at random. Except for the trouble of
initially providing spell power for the
likes of Halk, I've never really noticed
much difference in difficulty. Well, I
guess I do remember some trouble
with very low stamina but it was not
a show stopper by any means.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

if you want the best stats, go for high mana and low stamina. (ideally someone like plague from csb)

if you have much stamina in the beginning you will reach the cap at 999 at second master level in all classes.
stamina wise, all levels you gain afterthis are wasted. Though, low stamina is really a sucker in the starting game phase

I think tiggy could still reach 900+STamina!! ;) if archmaster in all classes

the other stats(str, dex, vit, wis) you can boost with potions. If you consider that not the same fun, I would go for high stat class specific champions: fighter : high str.(really helps)

priest and wizards: wisdom, best combined with high mana(wisdom should be boosted asap, mana helps to spit out spells)

in the end, all champions can be good. Or proove the opposite ;)
Damien
Neophyte

Post by Damien »

when i was young, i always picked the same 4 my dad used to take:

Hissssa: good fighter and has some mana (me and my dad wherent aware of the war cry giving priest skills).
Elija: semi decent fighter and priest.
Wuuf: good ninja and priest and has a flask wich was nice for leveling priest skills.
Gando: good ninja and wizard and has nice darts. he also is a nice back-up fighter, should 1 of the 2 fighters drop low on Health.

i now have started a party with all 4 reincarnated:

Gothmog and Nabi as my fighters. they have decent health, decent stats but excellent anti-fire and anti-magic
and Wuuf and Gando, because i still love them ;)
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

If ye have problems wit' start, train ninja. If ye have problems wit' middle game, train fighter. If ye have problems wit' later game, train priest and if ye have problems wit' last parts, train wizard.

Best champions, hard to say, there are no bad champions, nor anyone clearly over others, there are just good and bad combinations. My little brother says that the lizard of makan is probaly the best fighter, but halk is overall probaly the best when it comes to trading blows wit' enemy, but the dwarf and the huntress are great too. If ye use one champion, i have found zed of banville and leif the valiant good. About important stats, i think they are mana, antifire and antimagic as hp and stamina advace so fast and str, dxr, wis and vit can be boosted with potions on later game fairly well.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Aoshi
Neophyte

Post by Aoshi »

Two years ago, I've finished the game using the following party:

Mophus
Stamm
Leyla
Gothmog

And now I'm playing the SNES version. I'm a little bit disappointed by the re-design. The monsters are looking great but the champions and human characters (especially the final boss) are looking gay. You can't miss the Japanese influence / Anime style. But the worst thing is: They have made Mophus looking like an 80 years old Buddha priest! What a shame!! So I decided to take an entirely new party:

Linflas
Sonja
Syra
Gando
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

SNES version is painfully slow, too!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

@Aoshi: Cool! However, if I were you, I wouldn't mention taking Mophus into your party (not talking about your avatar, lol). It's one of the running gags here... you'll see... :) Some people here use this running gag as a ban-avoidance-tactic (e.g. Trantor). :) But nothing against it, I have personally (almost) no problem with Mophus. I didn't want to distract you, I just wanted to warn you about what might happen.

Ah, and welcome to the party! :D
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

And now you have a party with Linflas in it, who is gay.

I have no idea on people's opinions on 'gay' as a pejorative, so maybe best not to use it. I'm hoping it is making a second shift in meaning away from it's two previous meanings.

Anyway, yes, welcome to the forums btw.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Yeah, welcome to the forums - even if you like Mophus! :wink:

I'm a bit surprised you can play the SNES version after you played the game on the PC first. I didn't last more than 20 minutes, the controls are just too slow and painful. DM is designed to be played with a mouse and is almost unplayable without one (at least for me).
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Trantor do you have something against prophets?
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Not per se, and I am not religious. Insane serial killers with a bushy beard and a ferocious smile do scare me, though.