Memorable Moments...

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Re: Memorable Moments...

Post by oh_brother »

I have been playing again, and just remembered another memorable moment - the first time you see a ghost. The game designers knew that by that stage most people's strategy when they could not figure out how to kill it would be to run into a nearby room and have a think. So you do that, think you are safe, and then suddenly the ghost walks through the door. Damn scary.

The designers (or Lord Chaos) really put so much effort into messing with your head and anticipating your moves, e.g. creatures regenerating in a room you thought was safe. Not just a case of throwing in lots of monsters and letting you grind your way through.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

And ghosts and fireballs and thieves and pits and skeletons - all the same time... - I mean - you had to make the map too...
andilist
Novice

Post by andilist »

Hello everyone,

believe it or not: I never knew that a "vorpal blade" also can hurt elemental creatures... What a surprise! :mrgreen:

Kind regards,

Andi
Dungeon Master - The best game ever on my AMIGA => Now it´s running again on my PC
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No more waiting for those materisalisers to materialise!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
andilist
Novice

Post by andilist »

Good morning beowuuf,
beowuuf wrote:No more waiting for those materisalisers to materialise!
yes, I really hated those monsters. :evil:

Kind regards,

Andi
Dungeon Master - The best game ever on my AMIGA => Now it´s running again on my PC
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

andilist wrote: believe it or not: I never knew that a "vorpal blade" also can hurt elemental creatures... What a surprise!
Looking back I don't know how I realised that vorpal blades killed immaterial beings...there were no item descriptions, no internet guides, no real clues... (PS did you know the first mention of a vorpal sword was by Lewis Carroll in "Through the Looking Glass"? I just discovered that a few seconds ago on wikipedia).
andilist
Novice

Post by andilist »

oh_brother wrote:PS: did you know the first mention of a vorpal sword was by Lewis Carroll in "Through the Looking Glass"? I just discovered that a few seconds ago on wikipedia).
Of course I didn´t know that. Wiki is great! :P

Kind regards,

Andi
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Yee Haw!!!

I've never had an Archmaster before.
I just achieved that level in a solo run with MasterWuuf (reincarnated Wuuf).

How does it feel?

That's about right. :wink:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Rofl hey groovy, gratz :D.
Archmaster of which class, out of curiosity?
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Ameena wrote:Rofl hey groovy, gratz :D.
Archmaster of which class, out of curiosity?
Priest.

"Wuuf's big brother"
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

ROFL. You and your images and animations! :)

But congratulations! Well done! Now, take your Masterwuufie and go on in CSB! :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Jan wrote:ROFL. You and your images and animations! :)

But congratulations! Well done! Now, take your Masterwuufie and go on in CSB! :)
Thank you. I may just do that. Hmmm. Will my character be stronger at the start of CSB, if he is at a higher level in DM?
Also...I believe I'll have to snatch up three more heroes in DM, before trying to tackle CSB.
I don't believe I have a potent enough snarl to try CSB with one character. :shock:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think the difficulty level gets adjusted slightly when you start CSB, depending on the strength of the party you take. I'm not sue on this, though.
Must have taken you bloody ages to train anyone that high, though! :eek:
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

MasterWuuf wrote:I don't believe I have a potent enough snarl to try CSB with one character. :shock:
Perhaps you're just a too big coward to try it! :twisted: Or am I wrong? :twisted: And, you know, "Cowards will be hunted down and killed!" :twisted:
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

The difficulty difference in CSB with only one character is almost negligible, just like DM.

Congatulations! I never had an Archmaster, either - ok, I did, but only through cheating. Back in the Amiga days, my characters were EE master wizards, so with the Hellion and the powered-up Firestaff, they became Archmasters. :wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I uber-trained for CSB and had archmaster wizards, but I seem to recall priests being tough - so congrats!

Yeah, RTC would scale your characters, CSBwin wouldn't...I've lost track how you are playing them. My first run through with CSB was one player - I loves me some Aroc
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Jan wrote:
MasterWuuf wrote:I don't believe I have a potent enough snarl to try CSB with one character. :shock:
Perhaps you're just a too big coward to try it! :twisted: Or am I wrong? :twisted: And, you know, "Cowards will be hunted down and killed!" :twisted:
Words of Wisdom...from DM walls:

If you want to stay alive you
better turn and run.

Try to slip away by going left?
I hate cowards.

Man up and go to the right?
I don't like to be ignored.

I always take the extra time for the extra key. :wink:
Hey, has anyone figured a way to get that wall to open, without using a time-freeze box?
I can't see getting the skeletons to stop on that square long enough, without one.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Hey, has anyone figured a way to get that wall to open, without using a time-freeze box?
I have done it several times. (Before I knew about the boxes :oops: )
Get them relatively close by then back up to the wall and
hope they accidently step on the right place. Usually takes a
few tries but it is far from impossible.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Paul Stevens wrote:
I have done it several times. (Before I knew about the boxes :oops: )
Get them relatively close by then back up to the wall and
hope they accidently step on the right place. Usually takes a
few tries but it is far from impossible.
I think that's the way I did it the first time (way back prior to 1990).
I was afraid to suggest it, since I couldn't remember if I got it to work back then.
I still remember how I hated wasting one of those boxes. I hoarded things that were gone once used.
(Oops. I still have a tendency to do that. I dragged everything to the rat level, even with my Wuuf-alone game. :roll: )
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If stuff has limited uses, I either don't pick it up or keep hold of it and never get round to using it - it depends on the game. In the case of DM, I know that I never use any of this stuff (Magic Boxes, Fury, Time Ring, etc), so I just don't bother ever picking it up. In other games (at least, the first time through), I loot usable stuff and think "Ooh, that might come in useful..." and hang onto it in case a time comes when I might need it - sometimes I'll think "Hmm, I could use that thing here...but then it'll be gone and I might find I need it even more later on when I get to an even harder fight" or something, and basically end up just never using it at all ;). In which case, in future plays, one of two things can happen - either I know the game is finishable enough without the use of the things and therefore don't bother picking them up (or I do but I sell them, like I said it depends on the game), or, now knowing how the game goes, I know when is a good time to use them and whether I will have any left to use later, and when times come that I will need to use them.
On runs through DM I only bother to take the stuff I'm gonna need - I dont bother with, say, the Darc armour, or anything that has charges, or crap like rocks and stuff (well, I'll take one or two for the cases where you need them to trigger something and then leave it behind). One time I didn't bother looting the bow, then had to trudge all the wya back for it when I got to the Riddle Room and remembered that I needed it :P. Well, okay, so you don't have to solve all four riddles, but I like to anyway ;).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Be happy that you don't play Zed's dungeons. He always includes hundreds of new things, but only about 1 % is useful (of course, you never know which 1 % until the end of the game). :wink: Sometimes, the things are very cool, however, as the real working
Spoiler
cannon and many cannon-balls
in his last game -
Spoiler
BOOM-BOOM-BOOM
, muhahahaha! :twisted:
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Hoarders INC.

There MUST be a website for people who waste so much time, hoarding countless excruciatingly useless items. :mrgreen:

"Wuuf's big brother"
awakeningcry
Neophyte

Post by awakeningcry »

wow... been a while since i was last here... good to see we're still going strong!
OK, my major memories of this game 1st time round (ie, when i was about 10)... the 6 mummies at the end of level 1 (or was that 2? we always called the hall of champions level 0...), and being too scared to go any further than "choose your door, choose your fate", because i'd heard from my brother's friend that the next level had ghosts in it =P oooh, and the uncontainable excitement of having your champions gain another wizard level! ALSO... (not strictly game related, but...) having a particular floppy disk that had our latest saved game on it!!! heh.

Of course, 10 years later, i rediscovered the game online, and finished it... but even so, i always felt uneasy facing the oitus. Yes, i have real-life arachnophobia.
And then there was the pure JOY of defeating the deth knights (animated armour?) using just weapons.... DAMN, my men were hard! hah.
Alex, Nabi, Mophus, Syra
All as imported into CSB: LO Master Fighter, Artisan Ninja, UM Master Priest, UM Master Wizard
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

I remember when someone showed me you could bash a door at the start if you chose Stamm and save a gold key for later ;)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I think it's possible also with Sonya and her sword?
Lunar Celebration
Apprentice

Post by Lunar Celebration »

I know it's bad form to bump your own thread, but still :)

I remember the thrill of encountering a new monster - what especially sticks in my mind is the metallic crash of the Deth Knights (and the inevitable "what the f**k is that?!" upon hearing that amazing effect), and then the gleeful shock when you actually see what's making that sound...

Awesome, through and through.
"There's spiders in the boxes..."
"Stay out of my boxes!"
KayBee
Novice

Post by KayBee »

I'm glad you bumped your own thread. I'm kind of afraid to bump old threads, especially being new to this forum and all that, lol.

I read every page of this thread while trying to recall some of my moments. I was about 12 or 13 when I started playing DM on my lovely Apple IIGS. I don't think I was able to get any further than level 5 without the aid of a clue book. I do remember dreading the worms on level 4 though, but now they seem like a walk in the park compared to all the other baddies deeper down in the dungeon. :D

I probably had been playing several months and got totally stuck with the riddles. I still jump in my seat when I am surprised by monsters. I think I only managed to actually beat the game once back then.

Oh and those Materializers really need to stay the hell away from me. LOL

I enjoy trying something different with each game I play. I am finally at the point where I know DM inside and out and can challenge myself a bit more.

I only JUST made my first attempt at CSB and I tried doing it without the help of a walkthrough or clue book but I found myself completely snookered and having to start over again...this time I'll peek at the hints :P
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I think it's possible also with Sonya and her sword?
Anyone with "Chop" can hack through a door. There are probably other commands that do it, too. One wiser than I could inform you.

It never occurred to me until reading (most of) these posts, but, barring the SNES version (which is how I became a fan), Dungeon Master is inherently multi-player. One person moves, the other manipulates. I'll have to give this a try sometime. I can only imagine how much fun it would be. Where to find a fellow victim…

Most memorable scene: somewhere in "Choose Your Fate" when you get pursued by a group of mummies — there are probably some rock critters, too. All but one of my party members were dead; I was out of projectiles, had no spells, so I started throwing every single item I could get my hands on: weapons, clothing, money. After maybe ten minutes of back-pedaling and hucking whatever random crap was left lying on the ground — including but not limited to the bones of my fallen comrades — the last mummy finally went down from a gold coin.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Wheee brilliant :D. I love when people tell stories of killing mobs with some kind of really stupid object, like an item of clothing or something :D.
Journeyman

Post by Babe Bridou »

Memories of more than 20 years ago?

My favourite party was Elijah, Wu Tse, Hawk and Linflas, all reincarnated of course - But I restarted so many times I think I tested them all, since I was playing on a failed pirate copy (until I had enough pocket money to buy a genuine version :D), I was forced to speedrun through level 2 each session before the copy protection kicked in and prevented me from entering level 3 - which I managed on occasion - but I never saw level 4

Solving the matrix for the first time and getting all the items AND getting out of it! And weeks later, finding new secret walls in that place...
Finding out I could save a gold key with a good chop in level 2 after countless retries due to failed copy protection checks :D
Reaching the end of level 4 and after a hefty amount of reloads, accepting my fate as the real prisoner trapped between two worms on one side and eight worms on the other side, dying from thirst... I felt bad for throwing a rock at that mummy!

Having both "Gen4" (French computer magazine) game guides for CSB and DM on my bedside table for years helped cement my memory too...

I had a little name for all the levels! namely "the camp" for level 3 ("choose your door...") because that's where I'd set my main camp for a while and train all the cheese I could eat on that lille secret room with the blinking teleport and the compass, just throwing stuff into the teleporter until I was strong enough it would actually hit me :D
Back then I thought that I'd earn xp by getting hit, so I did "anti fire training" too by throwing fireballs into that teleporter and getting cooked in the process, hehe

As a side note, does anyone know where I could get my memory of spell rune names so wrong? for me it was Man, Pal, Vim, Yap, Dos, Ev and Ki instead of Mon, Pa, Vi, Ya, Des, Ew & Ku initially - and I'm pretty sure it comes from an official source, maybe an early version of the French manual?

fake edit: found it :D I knew I wasn't crazy http://dmweb.free.fr/files/DM-Scan-Manu ... e%2032.png