Spore!

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Spore!

Post by Ameena »

Umm...either do Control+Print Screen (or if you have something like Fraps to take pics, use that), or play the actual game and take a pic during the Creature Phase. Actually, I'm not entirely sure there's a screeny button in-game - I can't remember.
Or what about the emotes in Test Drive mode? Does one of those cause the critter to move in such a way its wings flap?
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I haven't bought the game, only the Creature Creator and extra parts, so I can't play it (after reading all the reviews it simply doesn't seem worth it, and I'm only interested in creature creation for other purposes: RTC, etc.). PrintScreen doesn't work for some reason, it just grabs my Windows Explorer running in the background (plus if it did work, it means more cutting out of the background). And nope, none of the emotes make the wings flap. :-(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Here's my Spore Screamer, mocked up against a screengrab of an old dungeon:

It took quite a while to do the screamer in the creator, but I think it worked out pretty well with the limitations I'm working with :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey wow, those are cool Screamers :D. And I don't think they look too out of place with the background.
As for the wing-flapping thing...hrmm, I'm not sure how to get around that one, then. Is there no emote that even makes it look like the wings are flapping (ie that causes the critter to move in such a way that the wings "react" to it)? Meh, I suppose if there was, you'd've found it. Maybe I'll have a poke around some time. I think using something like Fraps would work to get a screeny, though I don't think I've ever tried it in Spore and anyway, like you said it'd give the problem of still having to cut away the background.
And meh to the Spore reviews - I don't tend to pay attention to what other people say. I find Spore fun - I play it every now and then and enjoy it. It's mainly for the creators that I play it but it is fun to mess around in the Creature and Space Phases doing stuff. Still, I suppose if there was something you wanted that required the full game in order to make, one of us who owns it could make it for you or something :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Agreed, they are both brilliant reproductions and work well. How much post-processing did you have to do? I know you've done great creatures from real life miniatures, but I hope this one is minimal to none!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The work in the editor was probably a couple hours of experimentation on how to build the screamer (I did three versions, this was the most lifelike one). Then it was about 15 mins post production. This is the quickest I've been able to do a RTC creature from scratch. :-) Working over miniatures and combining other sources can take much, much longer.

One thing I've discovered is that there are some amazing pieces of work by other Sporians available for download, and these would act as a great base for other creatures, cutting the creation time down massively. I like how Spore keeps track of the original author when you upload a derivative, so you can always find out it's provenance and no-one can claim they created something from scratch when they didn't: crredit where credit is due.

Ameena: It looks like I would have to buy Spore in full if I want to do things like Asymmetry as this wasn't patched into the stand alone Creature Creator. Amazon are currently selling the boxed version for £7.20 -- and it only gets 2 stars, mainly because of (a) limited gameplay and (b) DRM. The latter is the thing most people seem angry with and it's the main reason I don't want to install it. But for £7.20 I might risk it -- after all, this is by far the cheapest and quickest 3D art package you can buy and easily reduces RTC monster development down to mere hours instead of days -- a worthwhile investment if I'm ever to finish any of my projects!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I like your reasoning, Gambit. You might get a game for free as well!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, there was some kind of big kerfuffle about the copy-protection software thingy that they used on the original Spore. So they removed it for GA and made it so you have to have the disk in the drive to run it (you don't with original Spore), and people still complained about that :P.
And you've just said something I'd been thinking - if there was an art program out there specifically designed for you to create dungeon creatures/furniture/rooms (etc...because you'll be able to do that in Spore, no problem, especially with GA), wouldn't you be willing to put out a bit of cash for it if it meant being able to design stuff like that so easily?
Also, £7.20 is nothing, really, when you think it cost about 30 quid when it first came out.
Oh, and yes, there is absolutely tons of bloody fantastic stuff out there, in the Sporepedia, in between the various walking knobs and blowjobs and stuff :D. Same with Adventures - there are plenty that are absolute shit, but there are also lots of really good once with great storylines and puzzles and everything. It's just a matter of finding them.
Craftsman

Post by Hajo »

The screamer looks great! I must admit, I'd never have thought of creating creatures for DM this way. So I learned something new, once again :)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I agree, these creatures are great! I would love to see these creatures in a RTC dungeon! Good work gamebit :D

I may add that it is possible to export the creatures as 3d objects. It may help with the transparacy background, and with the right 3d program you could generate shadows automaticlly...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I ordered Spore ages ago from a marketplace seller on Amazon, for that £7.20 price. It never turned up. I think it might actually be better to get the Steam or EA downloadable version anyway, as installing the disc based version puts all that Securerom rootkit crap on your machine. I know there are now tools for removing it, but I'm not gonna risk buggering up my nice new PC.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

How long ago did you order it? Have you tried e-mailing the seller? I tried ordering something from a seller on there a few months back and it didn't come, though that person didn't reply to my e-mail either so I eventually did the "file a claim" thing with Amazon and got a refund.
There is another website called "Direct 2 Drive" where you can download Spore from too - I got it from there when my disk drive was buggered. Can't remember how much it was, though.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, I have to complete some kind of refund process with the marketplace seller, but they said as part of their standard ts and cs, they send your address to the police. While I don't have anything to hide, I'm not happy having my address given to the police for the sake of losing £7 worth of goods in the post, so I'll just write it off.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

You can complete a refund thingy through Amazon instead...well, you could try and see what happens, if you do the "file a claim" thing and write the details of the problem in the e-mail thing it sends to Amazon. They might be able to sort it for you instead - you could always just try that, and if it's too much kerfuffle, then just sod it ;).
Why would they send your address to the police, anyway? That sounds a bit...weird. Is that even allowed?
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I did a Return Item through the standard Amazon option, but because it's via a marketplace seller, they route your comms directly to the seller. Seller then got in touch with me themselves. I'm going to query it with them, it all seems a bit odd!
If you still have not received the order please complete the statement
below. Please note that the statement will be forwarded to Police as per our
standard operating procedures

" To Whom It May Concern

I placed and order with PNA Games on
and I got my confirmation of dispatch on

I have not received my product and have check my local Royal Mail post
office and they do not have anything for me.

I do declare that I have not received the stock and would like a replacement
for this order please.

Yours Sincerely

[Insert name , address]"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, you can contact the seller through Amazon like that, but there is the "File a claim" option which will be under the order details somewhere, which is for use if you can't resolve an issue with the seller. When the thingI ordered off someone didn't arrive and they didn't reply tothe e-mail (via Amazon) that I sent them about it, I filed a claim and explained this much to Amazon and a day or two later I had an e-mail (presumably automated) telling me my claim had been accepted and the money had been refunded - they didn't ask for any further details or anything, it just got sorted.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's weird, it's only a piece of lost mail, yet I feel uncomfortable with my address ending up on a police database lord knows where! Perhaps I really am paranoid! ;-)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I don't really get why the police would need to have your address just because you didn't receive something you've ordered and paid for...unless they think you're just pretending it didn't arrive...but what does that say about them that they might assume the worst like that?
High Lord

Re:

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

linflas wrote:ahhh Gambit you should really have a look at it ! that's a wonderful base for monsters, and when you choose black background, the image is saved in PNG format with transparency !!! :D

unfortunately, trial version do not provide wings...
i like your background, great fern job
keep your gor coin handy
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I agree with Chaos-Shaman, great background.. But as I understand the monster are made by you, and that monster is really cool!!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

thanks :) it is entirely made with spore, i just changed its face with photoshop
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

That's one program i'm gonna check out, SPORE. I just got off the 2D wagon programs, learned only so much and need to move on out. I was fooling with sketchup 8, great program to try out. I find 3D objects are a bit fake looking, need still quite a bit of work to match the way 2D appears. My son gave my 3D studio Max 09 to try out. Scared to install it, heh, is it worth it?
keep your gor coin handy
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

For all those people who like Portal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQDLPp_Q ... re=related