Weather sound effects?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Weather sound effects?

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Other ideas??? Sounds devious :twisted:
Do you have any ideas on how to get several looping sounds(1 level only) to activate ONLY at the right times?

I'm problem having with my weather sounds is:
The weather randomly gets worse or better, when it changes it de-activates all the looping sounds & activates the now correct one.
The problem lies with getting the sounds to activate only once... it activates more than once, with the first activation looping like it's meant to, additional activations don't loop, resulting in a loud weather noise, then when the sound loops, it dulls to its normal volume :(
I thought that seen as you're doing your own weather system, you may be able to help with mine.

Any help would be appreciated...
Last edited by Lord_BoNes on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I split this to a new thread as it's a new question. Please use this method for all future questions, don't use existing threads for unrelated questions, cheers.

I'm not building a weather system, far from it! I'm sure you're doing far more complex stuff than me. Plus I only get a couple of hours a week on this stuff at the moment, so I doubt I'd even look at the complexities of that for quite a long time! Have you checked out the DM2 weather system? I tried to follow it but it was pretty complicated for my small brain to understand...

As for looping sounds, I think there are some small bugs connected to those that have been described on other threads. Also, you have your sounds set to 1 buffer only, yes? This ensures no "layering" of sounds, or is supposed to!

Sorry I can't be more help.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Sorry, about not starting this as a new thread... I've been told before...
BoNes slaps himself silly :?

I've checked out the DM2 weather system, it was easy to follow(I'm used to my mega-chains of relays, the DM2 ones are small in comparison), and it's scripted. The weather in DM2 runs on a timed loop.

Mine, however, is random, it can change it will.
As for the looping sounds, obviously there ARE bugs :(
I have tried setting it to 1 buffer only, but there are multiple sound FX(1 for each state of weather), and they overlap very easily :(

Also, thanx for the compliment:
Gambit37 wrote:"I'm sure you're doing far more complex stuff than me."
Anyways, as I said in my PM, I'm off to bed now... I'm nearly falling asleep at the keyboard, it is 4:30am after all.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

One thing springs to mind, though I don't know that it would help and you may have checked this already: is your looping sound file exactly the same length as the duration of the weather effect (or a multiple of it?).

It's possible that if the sound file length is not divisible into the length of the weather effect, that looping offsets and "layering" might occur.

For example a sound file of exactly 10 seconds will loop fine 3 times if your weather effect lasts for 180 RTC ticks. But if your sound file is 11 secs, it might be throwing things out.

Just guessing, it's got probably nothing to do with this at all.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I do a de-activate on ALL sounds when the sound is updated/changed, so that shouldn't be a problem.

As it is, I think I've found a way to get it to work(most of the time). I said "f*ck the looping sounds" and made my own relay loop that updates/changes the sound FX, and it looks like it's working.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin