Can't create a ZO opened door.

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Daecon
Expert

Can't create a ZO opened door.

Post by Daecon »

Am I being really stupid and missing something obvious?

I've tried 3 times now to make a door that can be opened with the Zo spell, but every time I test it nothing happens!

Do the button/door/doorframe have to be placed on the tile in a certain order? Does the door button have to be "visible" or does the door button even need to be there at all?

It's really disheartening when I can't even get something as simple as that right... :cry:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Normal order of doorframe, button, door. Button needs to be there

You can, of course, go the alternative route of having a floor trigger on the floor opby a Zo cloud and have it openthe door that way
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Ah, yes. The button has to be visible as well.

I'd have thought that kind defeats the purpose of having the ability to open the door by magic if you have to have a button there anyway... ah well, nevermind.

:)
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

The button *object*, has to be there. Of course, that doesn't mean to say that it has to have a bitmap associated with it, and therefore something the player can click on...
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

But when I have the button there, but set to "invisible" the door doesn't open with the Zo spell...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

So you can make a door clickable/unlockable...if it always opened with a button there then you would not be able to block Zo spells easily

I haven't chekced, but have to guess this is how the DM2 doors work - the doorframe has the button graphic, but unless the key is in the real button, and hence ability to Zo it iopen and shut either, won't eb available

This was just how D Mworked - Zo = pushbutton door. As i said earlier, there is an easy way indeendant of push buttons to make a door open with a Zo spell
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

ZoKathRa wrote:But when I have the button there, but set to "invisible" the door doesn't open with the Zo spell...
That's correct.

I think the source of confusion is in the term "invisible". When used in reference to dungeon mechanics, invisible means "inoperable" or "effectively not there" - if something is invisible then the engine will behave exactly as if it was never there (e.g. dungeon mechanics that rely on it won't work, any bitmaps associated with it won't be shown).

What I think you're using the term "invisible" is as meaning that you personally can't see it - they're two completely different meanings!
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

beowuuf wrote:I haven't chekced, but have to guess this is how the DM2 doors work - the doorframe has the button graphic, but unless the key is in the real button, and hence ability to Zo it iopen and shut either, won't eb available
Yes, thats right. The key switches simply toggle the invisibility state of the door button. Note that the button itself is never seen (because it is lower down the draw order than the door frame which covers it when it is "visible"). The green button on the door frame is just an optical illusion - it doesn't itself operate the door at all!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

"...invisible means "inoperable" or "effectively not there"..."
But I specifically remember once giving a door an invisible button and it did still work, which was what I wanted at the time (so I could save having to keep casting a Zo spell on it when testing it, muahahaha). Well of course, you could have changed it since then...
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Ameena wrote:But I specifically remember once giving a door an invisible button and it did still work...Well of course, you could have changed it since then.
Must have been a bug that was fixed - it was certainly never the intention that what you did should have worked!
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

George Gilbert wrote:
ZoKathRa wrote:But when I have the button there, but set to "invisible" the door doesn't open with the Zo spell...
That's correct.

I think the source of confusion is in the term "invisible". When used in reference to dungeon mechanics, invisible means "inoperable" or "effectively not there" - if something is invisible then the engine will behave exactly as if it was never there (e.g. dungeon mechanics that rely on it won't work, any bitmaps associated with it won't be shown).

What I think you're using the term "invisible" is as meaning that you personally can't see it - they're two completely different meanings!
Ah, I see. Yes that's exactly the problem! Darn the english language and the abiguity of teh words.

I wanted to make a door that didn't have any "physical" way of opening it...

What would be the usefulness of an invisible door button if it doesn't do anything because it's like, invisible to the engine and stuff?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You are still not making it clear which invisible you mean!

'Invisible' as a tag means 'please temporarily get rid of it while not deleting it' Tables that become invisible are gone, their items fall to the floor. AS opposed to an inviisble table with null graphics which means you can have items floating in mid air.

Andso we are back to the an invisible (null graphics) button is useful becuase it lets you have niormal push button door behaviour without having a physical way of opening it. A button with an invisible to the engine tag means, like DM2 doors, they are locked shut to everythign until the point you want them to have a useful push button physical activation again
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

The way to do this is to have a trigger operated by dungeon spell zo on the same tile as a door and doorframe. The trigger must be at the top of the list otherwise the zo spell breaks before the trigger sees it.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Or GG's invisible buton, either is good

And yes, tile order is always very important in RTC.
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

Ah sorry I hadn't really read the thread properly, I didn't notice that two working methods had already been suggested :oops:
Inanity
Craftsman

RE: "Invisible" buttons

Post by Inanity »

Sorry, I know this is an old post, but I'm very surprised nobody suggested this: it would make newbs less confused if the next release used some word other than "invisible" to describe a flag whose purpose is not specifically to control visibility... How about "do not compile" or "remove from dungeon" (I can't think of a shorter equivalent, at the moment [edit: "omit"?]) for the name of that checkbox?

George, fantastic work... The latest version seems better than ever.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

How about "ignore"?
Inanity
Craftsman

Post by Inanity »

Yeah that's even better