Can I import objects with champions?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos Awakes
Artisan

Can I import objects with champions?

Post by Chaos Awakes »

Is it possible to have objects carried by champions imported to a new game when imported?

I want to leave an item at the end of the game so that someone can pick it up and then save before finishing. Then, if they import the saved champions into the same dungeon for a second play, the object lets the game know that they've already won once so that special "extra features" are unlocked.

Is there a way to know if a dungeon has already been won once? This would be part of the solution but wouldn't really be the whole solution because the game would then unlock all the extras whenever played again even if played by a different player. It should be a carried object which unlocks the new features.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nope, not by the engine (deliberately, GG has said it would be very complex to check the party inventory and have conditions to weed or not weed out items).

All you could do is have the import area detect a certain condition of that person - perhaps gaining the object boosts one of your stats to some rediculously high XP that really no normal player should get (and you can attackc with an energy drain on re-import to lower the sta again)

If the object is important too, then you can of course triger a teleporter to drop a copy of it to the tile

Of ocurse, someone can cheat around that, but then that's their perogative I guess, and if they want to import an archmaster anyway, then I guess they would easy strom through your previous dungeon for the object anyway
Chaos Awakes
Artisan

Post by Chaos Awakes »

Hmm, guess I'll have to work around it then as you suggest. I really want to do this. My dungeon has something like 20 levels and I have a system in place which provides replay value by making various areas of the dungeon available depending on which options are made in play. However, I think the replay value would be even better if it was physically impossible to access large parts of the dungeon except on the second time through and the items required to do this would require different approaches to be made to puzzles.

The first time through, for example, the player only has to solve 3 of the 6 puzzles in a riddle room to open the door. The second time, he can do all 6 which opens an entirely new area. etc
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Code words might also be a good idea. You pick up the item, it has an inscription of its name, soemthing bloody onscure

Playing through an area the next time through, you have some clever system for being able to imput the code words when prompted at the areas (or you can simply dump a whole load into the starting import area before you are properly put back int othe dungeon)

Personally I would do a hall of bouncing levers - each time you pull one down (each for a letter) it deactivates all relays or counters except ones relating to that letter - there would be a set of relay/counter chains for each word - so if you spell out a word this way, you can activate an effct. Otherwise, you are always resetting the chains so nothing gets activated

Actually, this was so much easier in CSBwin as the state machine is exactly what DSAs are based on, but it should be doable in RTC
Chaos Awakes
Artisan

Post by Chaos Awakes »

I'll sort something out :)

Doesn't seem too far fetched to at least ask George to add a variable to tell me if a dungeon has been won before - this information must be available because I can have different end text come up at the, um, end depending on whether this is the first or second time the dungeon has been won - so it must know. Why can't I simply ask the engine "has this dungeon previously been completed?". What about it George?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

True, maybe a counter that actually gets incremented if the dungoen has been won before so you can query it yourself
Chaos Awakes
Artisan

Post by Chaos Awakes »

Yes, I like that - a counter instead of a simple flag would be better in case there are any dungeon designers out there that really have too much time on their hands and want to design a dungeon that is different the first twelve times you play lol.