Export selected bitmap to file?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
danielcg
Apprentice

Export selected bitmap to file?

Post by danielcg »

I want to modify DM's Armor bitmap but I could not "clone" the armor bitmap in RTC Editor. I cannot find "Export Bitmap to File" menu so therefore, I cannot make copy of generic armor for editing the bitmap.

I must export generic armor to the file so I can edit it through Photo Shop Pro and saved as .PNG file. However, RTC Editor don't have "Export bitmap to file" option on default bitmap.

Example: I want to change the color on generic body armor to blue or purple instead of gray, I must export graphicx.dat to the file by selected bitmap but RTC Editor don't allow me to export. How can I export selected bitmap (default bitmaps) from graphicx.dat to PNG or BMP file?
danielcg
Apprentice

Post by danielcg »

I found the way to modify the armour and sword. I am in luck that I already have original DM program (not RTC) and I downloaded DMExtract and successfully extracted all graphics items from GRAPHICS.DAT file.

Then in PSP XI, I scaled selected items by 2x to make up for RTC's 640x480 resolution. Then convert to RGB from 8 bit palette. Then I modify what I want. After I am done with it, I had to write pure magneta as the transparent because PSP will not accept alpha channels for RGB PNG file.

I deleted all unused graphics items files. I assigned my graphics to my custom armour and sword in RTC Editor then play RTC and it worked. No crashes at all! I adjusted offset accordingly. All icons are defined as 1-scaling small with no shading. All other items are defined as 6-scaling medium with shading. I think RTC Editor automatically assign to correct size based on my image's size.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

you did something very complicated i think... simply press ALT+[print screen] in RTC editor to get the original bitmaps and paste the window as a new bitmap in Photoshop, then crop and rescale it if it was shown as "50%" sized in RTC editor.
this works for almost all bitmaps.