Scout and Map

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
bellis
Neophyte

Scout and Map

Post by bellis »

Hi.

Is it only me or ??

Im lacking a scout of the map ..

according to an old walkthrough one should be able to send out a scout when in map mode to be able to scout ahead an area.. I cant find this funktion .. plzz help ..

// Bellis
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Hi - it's not you, :D

The scout / porter minion and their associated maps are not in the RTC version of DM II (but equally, they're not needed!).

I think these are the only things that are different between the game and the walkthrough, but if you find anything else, please let me know.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Not needed, but certainly useful. Well, the Porter Minion is. I've never really used the Scout Minion but I understand some people use it to block corridors and stuff to stop getting shot at or something.

Post by bellis »

Exacly.. I did found this scout to be very useful back in those days I played it on the Pc (original Version).. I do hope this funktion will be implemented in the future ..

// Bellis

Ameena wrote:Not needed, but certainly useful. Well, the Porter Minion is. I've never really used the Scout Minion but I understand some people use it to block corridors and stuff to stop getting shot at or something.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Even if not strictly necessary - it'd be cool if some future RTC-DM2 release had all the minions, along with factions that a dungeon designer can assign to monsters - in this case faction 0 for the party and summoned minions, faction 1 for neutral NPCs, faction 2 for the default hostile monsters, and faction 3+ for other warring factions.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Actually I'm pretty sure the only way to get the Tempest sword is to use the Porter Minion, since you can't hold it and step off the square in which you find it because a pit opens to block your way. Not that the Tempest is much good comapred to things like Blue Steele, but for those people who want to get every single item...
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Ameena wrote:Actually I'm pretty sure the only way to get the Tempest sword is to use the Porter Minion
Nope.

The porter (or scout) minion is not required for *any* puzzle in the RTC version of DM-II. In the original game there were several ways to solve alot of the puzzles...and that's true in the RTC version too!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh? How can you get the Tempest sword without having the porter Minion get it, then? I thought the blocking pit stayed open as long as the sword wasn't lying on the square.
Even if you don't need the minions for anything, they can be bloody useful anyway, like carting axes about.
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Ameena wrote:Oh? How can you get the Tempest sword without having the porter Minion get it, then? I thought the blocking pit stayed open as long as the sword wasn't lying on the square.
It's a puzzle - go and solve it yourself :wink:

(BTW - the solution that works in RTC also works in the original game)
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Is the "Porter" minion like a flying chest or something?
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Or more like a walking stomach?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

In appearance, it's like a big green blob...thing. You use the commands on the Minion Map to get it to pick up and carry stuff either from an X to you, or from you to the X (the X having been designated by you by going to that spot and clicking the X button on the map). Very handy for if you have a shitload of axes to sell, for example, since you can just have the Minion lug them all the way to the weapon shop for you (though it can be annoying if said Minion gets held up by an enemy Attack Minion en route, since they tend to run away if attacked...).