It's tough to be a heroine...

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Harlequin Jones

It's tough to be a heroine...

Post by Harlequin Jones »

Hi all,

I've been playing Dungeon Master for years, but didn't try CSB until today. I transferred my character over from DM.

She began CSB as a << Master in everything but ninja, in which she was a [] Master.

I've been fighting critters all over the place, casting spells, and throwing ninja stars - but I can't seem to get a break! My levels have not budged in the hours I've played.

I know it's tough to improve once you reach those levels, but yeesh. Please tell me that my experience points transferred over with my levels...

HJ
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The experience needed for each level doubles from the previous
Dungeon levels have a mutliplier on experience, so with DM being linear the deeper you went, the more experience you got, so it wasn't as if you had to do the equivelent of the game again each time you wanted a level up
With CSB being non-linear, you might just find you are on low weighted levels
Anyway, CSB is more about survival than leveling : )

Post by Guest »

True. :)

...but I've always wanted to get a character to Archmaster. I've never had an Archmaster. I want one!

Harley
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

stay deep...always push your spellcasting to the limits - lightning bolts, fireshields, at maximum power - let yourself get hit alot more in combat, staning toe to toe - infact just stay in fights all the time - you earn experience for taking damage aswell as receiving, and experience is weighted when engaged in combat

personally i only ever got to archmaster with wizard levels, and it was a labour of love while waiting for CSB for amiga (which i then never got! : )
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Same here. Only once reached an Archmaster and that with the Firestaff+ included in my pack as well (boosting all the levels for the owner by 1).

If you have a look at the points necessary for a level you can see, that it gets increasingly more difficult to reach them, for example the first Master level (Lo Master) is reached when accumulating 128.000 points in one discipline. The second (Um Master) needs the same amount again (256.000 total), the third (On master) 256.000 again (512.000 total) and Archmaster takes 8.192.000 overall points! You need a very big dungeon indeed and the patience to go through all the places repeatedly to reach that many points, even if you play DM and CSB afterwards.

Probably you should try the alternate competition (implemented in CSBwin) that is to find all objects in the dungeon and bring them to a certain place - that is very hard work and takes pretty long - but you gain a lot of points during the process.

Also, if you are willing to do that, play with 2 instead of 4 characters, which will naturally get you more points for those 2 since they will cast more spells and fight more than if you had 4 characters.

Regards, PitD
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

I did the CSBWin challenge for CSB and DM twice each with one reincarnated character without saving and recording and i never got anywhere near Archmaster i think, and i did kill all the monsters properly unlike in the speed races. The highest level was an = master wizard in CSB and i think that was with the pendant feral. If you tried the Conflux 1 challenge for CSBWin i think you might get an Archmaster in something without endless training.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

You definitely need a patience and the will to spend endless times training - then it's probably possible to reach one Archmaster level (as mage in my case) including the Firestaff+. But after days and days kiling rats in level 9 you might get bored a little ;o)

Regards, PitD
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

And the + version of the firestaff boosts your skills (levels) by 2. The "normal" staff enhances them by 1. Sorry about that mistake in one of the previous posts.

Regards, PitD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, i mean my archmasters were just to see what happened...it was like a religeous quest to see if anything cool came up! I did it using a) mapping the entire DM game after completing it, and stopping to track down and fight monsters and even 'redo' the whole game, and then b) just camping in the rat area throwing fieballs, lightning bolts, etc
I also tried to trigger the alternate ending, but of course with the firestaff+ that didn't happen!

The last part i did when i was reading, so rather than sit somewhere else, i would sit near my comp, read, pause to fireball, then put them to sleep and read again...i seem to recall amiga sleep at such high levels being slow anyway
When the food ran out, then i would 'play' again, but usually it was just standing and fighting with the rats, since they were the best food for the least effort...it also nicely build up fighter levels of my guys
I swear stamm in the darc armour always got hit more than zed i nthe lyte, but i beleive it was due to dexterity now...

i got to archmaster with the firestaff first, and was like 'hmm, it says archmaster, cool....hmm, nohting else? so then kept trainign to see if a natural archmaster triggered anything, and also to see if there was anythign above it, of course, using the firestaff...but nah! : )

maybe *twitch* if i'd got everyone to *twictch* archmaster in everything *twitch* then it would have solved the gibberish scroll ....

and yes, if there is anywhere to earn archmaster easier, it would be conflux! i'm just playign the game normally, true, tryign to do everythign, and my one guy is at um - ee master levels! no training whatsoever, all natural : )
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Thought you were sleeping and getting some rest but in the mean time you're still playing Conflux II! BTW, if the term "natural" does apply to that game I'm leaving up to you... and let's hope that cursed scroll will be solved at some point, I'm getting anxious about anybody seeing through it... maybe before I start having serious nightmares about the "names of vexirks" in it... :wink:

Regards, PitD
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

I never did get an archmaster in everything, but i want to now, just to see whats its like, archmaster everything even. I've been meaning to play another solo game of DM anyway while recording with one reincarnated character as when i did the last one 'DM rules' wasn't implemented so my character was terrible at the start, one hit from the mummy and he would die.
A game of DM like that take ages though, about 9 to 10 hours which includes getting every item to the dragon level and sorting them out. I think CSB takes around 9 hours aswell, maybe i will use the same character through both games and see if he turns out as an archmaster in anything. Also, i will have a go at seeing how fast i can win Conflux 1, i reckon around 10 minutes might be possible if i knew one thing, how do you kill the darck counciler? He died in my first game but i don't know how i did it and in the second, he wouldn't die.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I don't know what Zyx is thinking about this but from my point of view I would like to ask you not to demand an answer for that question. Conflux II has been changed a lot from the first part but still - there is a competition going on for the second part and it should be a fair one for players who have or have not played the first Conflux, so if answers to questions for Conflux I are posted here they might (or might not) spoil several of the (sub-)quests of the second part. If you want an answer by any means and do not take part in the competition, I'm sure Zyx will gladly let you know via email.

Regards, PitD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

sleep? *twitch*
eh, my fingers can tap out the paths to certain places without the need of my 'brain' now
in a few weeks i'll forget most of it, but for now...*tap tap tap*
left forward right forward stairs up ARGH! back bak back swish swish swish forget about pit fall down pit scream at screen forward forward...

conflux II is firmly bases on Conflux I - engine limitations have been overcome and huge additions have been made, but basically there is no point on doing conflux one fast - try conflux II for more challenge and fun and go for the prize! and yes, any answers to conflux I will spoil key points in the newest one. zyx has listened to occasion points such as 'is it obvious to do this or that', and so i think there is sufficient clues on how to do most things...twisted clues sometimes! so give it a try first : )

as a bonus, you will the find you are on the way to getign those archmaster levels when you play conflux II aswell!: )
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Glad you see it the same way. I'm hoping the competition is running already and people are cursing as much as I did during my first tries to survive with my party... and having a lot of fun, of course. And, yes: the dungeon is structured in a way that you can gain your levels without having to train endlessly even if the characters are already on a mster level... and you won't get bored :wink:

Regards, PitD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

to paraphrase zyx about his philosophy, he didn't see why there should be those levels if they weren't achiveable in the dungeon, so it should be usualy to finish on a few master levels without doign any training

Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

PitD and Beowuuf, you're absolutely right about my opinions. Which means that I don't need anymore to lurk through these fora: you can recreate me at any time... Maybe I was already the creation of your minds, in fact. Perhaps you wanted me to think this way. Perhaps you wanted me to think I have a body and autonomy. But then why did you let me know about my cruel virtual existence? How can you be so cru[RESET]

Antman: Due to the Conflux II competition running, it is not an opportune time to ask publicly for hints, even if they're for Conflux I.
Anyway, it is a non sense to play Conflux I, it's only the crippled version of Conflux II.
By the time I had to stop the making of Conflux because of Dmute limitations. So I released the dungeon as Conflux I.
Then came DMbuilder and CSBuild and I could resume the making until reaching the current state: Conflux II.
So you'd better switch immediately to the enhanced version.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, apologies, should have let you answer for yourself ; )
don't want you disappearing in a puff of uncertainty and taking all your hard work with you!

Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Sorry guys, i thought conflux II was a completely new dungeon, i shall wait for it to be released before trying to race through it.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, it IS released now : ) the threads about it and the competitions are on the custom dungeon forums

since you've played conflux I you shouldn't be completely at sea, but then you will probably appreciate all the newer graphical and mechanical touches even more

PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Zyx: I'm pretty certain you're existing on your own because I could certainly not have created Conflux II including all those twists to engine, graphics and functionality without several months of intense study of the code I cannot properly read... a lot of guess work at times :wink:

Regards, PitD
Harlequin Jones

progress

Post by Harlequin Jones »

Well...

I've been playing for a few days. I've destroyed two corbums. My girl is now an <> Master in Fighter and Wizard, = Master in Ninja and Priest. I guess these things just take time.

I doubt I'll get Archmaster in anything before destroying the final two, however.

Harley
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

DM or CSB alone hardly allow you to get Archmaster in anything even if played in succession with the same characters if you do not clean up the whole dungeon and go around collecting/killing everything there is including lots of times coming back to monster generator areas to train. On the other hand, if you look the amazing time record for CSB (movie), you will know that Archmaster levels are not necessary at all ;o)

Regards, PitD
-FoxBat
Neophyte

Post by -FoxBat »

I remember reading that you get more experience for actions performed on higher levels in CSB... IE ones near the top. So basically hanging around nar death row, where all those xyxaxs are, is theoretically the best spot for XP. (Actually, probably fighting Chaos is the absolute best XP, he never dies so you can keep it up all day as well. :cool: ) There seems to be enough monster regenerations too, if you can handle the beasties up there.