Rhymed riddles... somebody remember that quest?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Idrilian
Neophyte

Rhymed riddles... somebody remember that quest?

Post by Idrilian »

Hello,

I loved that game... and some time ago remembered one of quest riddles. You need to guess item and place it in correctly space. The one I remember goes something like that:
Hard as rock,
blue as sky,
twinkle like a woman eye.

There was three more... but I can't remember them at all. Somebody can help me?

Please.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Rhymed riddles... somebody remember that quest?

Post by beowuuf »

Hello!

The map for that level is here, the inscriptions are below:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/139
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Or if you're lazy...

"Hard as rock, blue as sky, twinkle in a woman's eye" (
Spoiler
Blue Gem
)
"A golden head and tail but no body" (
Spoiler
Gold Coin
)
"I arch yet have no back" (
Spoiler
Bow
)
"I am all, I am none" (
Spoiler
Mirror of Dawn
)

...just because I wanted to double-check that I can still remember them all off the top of my head :D.

Post by Idrilian »

Thanks a lot!

I played at DM last time almost twenty years ago, so memory failed me a little...
but it was great game and lovely riddles. :)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Some of those riddles were a pain for the non english teen boy I was. I remember putting all objets I had found into the "I am all, I am none" alcove ! And today, I still don't understand it..
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Idrilian
Neophyte

Post by Idrilian »

In the mirror anyone can reflect ("I'm all"), but it's impossible without someone before it ("I'm none"). :) That's as I understand that...
And at that time, my english... oh, it didn't existed at all. :) I didn't have even ten years old. ;)
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

linflas wrote:Some of those riddles were a pain for the non english teen boy I was. I remember putting all objets I had found into the "I am all, I am none" alcove ! And today, I still don't understand it..
Glad I didn't think that might be the right answer when I played it the first time.
I would have had to make about 20 trips back to whereever I had laid everything down. :shock:

On my first time through (back when it originally came out) I did not put everything in the screamer room,
so I would have been backtracking until I 'thought' I had brought everything to that alcove.
Then I would have spent about two lifetimes trying to find something I'd forgotten.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Never heard about anyone using the Screamer Room as a storage space before...so did you then have to cart it all downstairs once you'd opened the Central Stairwell, and leave it thereinstead where it was more accessible? ;)
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Ameena wrote:Never heard about anyone using the Screamer Room as a storage space before...so did you then have to cart it all downstairs once you'd opened the Central Stairwell, and leave it thereinstead where it was more accessible? ;)
Can't remember what floor (number-wise) I always use.
It's on the same floor as the ratroom.
The room with the water alcove.
The floor of that section usually looks like a second-hand store, with items organized into neat piles;
the less interesting items scattered down the hall to the skeleton key exit to the ?second? stairway to the bottom.

Same floor as another riddle or two... What is under foot is soon overhead...Light as a feather
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yes, that's the one I think most people use - Level 9, that nice little room right by the stairs which contains a fountain, just along the corridor from the Rat Room :).
I don't actually bother with storage these days, since I only take what I need (and last time I played it, it meant I had to backtrack as I got to the start of Level 6 and realised I hadn't bothered to loot the bow...). I do go back up to that level to grab drinks, though, and usually kill any respawned rats in their room while I'm there.