[Custom dungeon] Gem of Ra [RTC] [Antero]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Antero
Neophyte

[Custom dungeon] Gem of Ra [RTC] [Antero]

Post by Antero »

Version: 1.0 for RTC V0.48
Platform: RTC
Author: Antero
Date published: 2008, April 19
Date last updated: 2008, May 11

Story:
Find the Gem of Ra to exit from the Dungeon.

Entrance

Ra door

Book of Runes

Notes:
Hello people, figured i could post my tryout of a new RTC dungeon named Gem Of Ra. It starts on low level (Apprentice-Novice) resurrection only class characters, runes are restricted and uses graphics from DM1.
There's some stuff that's always different every time you play.
Dungeon should be ready to play, if you find any bugs let me know.
Made with RTC version 0.48.

Edit: Release version is up. link is updated

Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
Last edited by Antero on Sun May 11, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Only way for a lone wizard to carry a full suit of darc armour and some chests seems to be a chest full of KU-Potions. =)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums!

I've put your dungeon up on the dungeon list, if I get a chance I will try to play it too
napoleonsdad
Neophyte

Post by napoleonsdad »

Do we have to sign-up in order to download it? Didn't want to work clicking the download link.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No sign up necessary, you must just want to refresh and keep on at the site if it is busy

Or infact, I could stop being lazy and alternate host it here:
http://www.dmjump.net/Gem_Of_Ra_Beta1_0.zip
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Welcome to the forums :)

So, I tried this dungeon and here are my thoughts.

One initial comment: You should have the dungeon name in upper case only. If you put it in lower case, RTC will draw the dungeon's name as spell runes. I couldn't find it in the list of dungeons at first because of this.

I took Ruma and Kalle on the expedition. I did get a bit of the feeling of the original DM exploring the initial corridors, fighting my way past mummies and screamers, trying to learn some early spells, hunting for keys, and so on.

So, onward I went, navigating the corridors, fighting battles, finding more items, fighting more battles, and, well... I don't want to be too harshly critical, because you're new, but that to me is where it just sort of... all started to feel the same. There were more monsters to fight, but it was more or less the same monsters, and the fights were sort of easy. There were almost no puzzles, as best as I could tell. I don't mind a fairly straightforward dungeon where you can advance fairly steadily without getting "stuck," but I'd at least like some new sights to see along the way.
Spoiler
The room where all the skeletons suddenly show up was an exception. I liked that, though a little bit of warning would've been more fair. Still, it needed more like that!
I managed to get pretty far into the dungeon... I think I might have done all there is to do for now. (Since you labeled it a beta, I'm assuming it's not finished, but I might be mistaken)
Spoiler
I found the Gem of Ra, and it was sort of in a dead end, so I assume I've done all there is to do for now. I think there was an exit way up top, but I don't have to fight my way all the way back up there, do I?
Antero
Neophyte

Post by Antero »

Thanks Sophia, Noticed the lower case problem myself also. dungeon is easy - more hardy version shall be done in future.

as for not completing it, well, i quess i need to make the objectives more clear so people actually know what to seek.

As for the Boring part.. hmm gotta figure out something to keep it unboring i quess. maybe some of those puzzles would be fun.
Only way for a lone wizard to carry a full suit of darc armour and some chests seems to be a chest full of KU-Potions. =)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

hi antero and welcome :)
i've tried your dungeon too and would say the same critics as Sophia. I play only with Ruma and
Spoiler
died a few times in the quite surprising skeletons room but i dodged faster enough to escape and finally i found the Gem and decided to come back up to reach the exit. By the way, you could have named your dungeon the Gem of Ra(ts) ! ;)
EDIT : just finished it !
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Little review.

Gameplay : 8
Very easy, restricted runes are well used, just as in RTC-DM.

Originality : 5
This is a very classic fight-dungeon : open door, kill monsters, take key... Boring at the beginning,
Spoiler
second part is better but still fights and that's all

Difficulty : 3
So easy, even with 1 character but there's a cool challenge after
Spoiler
you have found the gem and have to return to the beginning.
Puzzles : none.

Size : small.
But i like those ones, where you don't get lost for hours.

Replayability : none
Unless there's more in the final version :)

Craft : 6.
A pure linear dungeon. It is never unfair, there's always enough room to fight or dodge. Be careful when mixing DM and DM2 flasks. Invert the strings REINCARNATED/RESURRECTED (this is a bug in v0.48 when you create a new dungeon).

Atmosphere : DM, no more, no less.

Overall : 6
I wait for puzzles in the next release !
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Welcome to the forums Antero! I just played through your dungeon, here is a little review.

Gameplay: 5
There is nothing much to do. Long corridors, open rooms, lots of monsters, no puzzles.
What I liked was the restricted runes, especially that the power runes were not all available from the start. Too bad that the YA rune was located so far down, as having to sleep in order to regain stamina was a bit annoying.

Originality: 4
Nothing too special to see here, it's just another dungeon after all.

Difficulty: 3
Very easy. You usually have plenty of space to dodge the monsters which aren't that hard in the first place. Apart from one certain room with skeletons, there are no hard places.

Puzzles: N/A
Sadly, there are no puzzles at all to be found in this dungeon.

Size: 3
I played through this in 1 hour and 5 minutes, killing (almost) everything there is. It's really very small.

Replayability: None
No alternative routes, no secrets, no unlockables.

Craft: 6
It's a bit weird that most items in this dungeon are carried by monsters, and I wasn't too happy with the YA rune so far down. But everything works fine, and the skeleton room is quite nifty.

Game Ending: 5
It goes on longer than expected, and the fights get a bit harder in the second half. The ending itself isn't anything special, though.

Atmosphere: 5
Hey, it's DM wallsets with just a few tiny texts. Nothing too special.

Overall: 5
There are lots of monsters to fight, but it's not very interesting since everything is so easy and straight-forward. The dungeon desperately needs puzzles or more traps like the skeleton room.

Best part:
The skeleton room (you could probably tell this by the number of times I mentioned it :P )

Worst part:
Not having any puzzles.
Antero
Neophyte

Post by Antero »

Thank all of you for the comments.

Meanwhile i have modified the dungeon and have done some traps, a little puzzle (it seems that if you want to make a nice one, you gotta use your brains, yuck. But worry not, i'll buy a bottle of wine and start em up).
Currently trying to figure out how to make new monsters that are not killing your party in one hit, or actually do more damage than 1 :lol:

Next - hopefully better - version of GEM OF RA ( :o ) will be released at friday.
Antero
Neophyte

Post by Antero »

New Version is up, Download link updated!
Antero
Neophyte

Post by Antero »

And enough editing, this is the final version. whole dungeon is mostly changed, most monsters are edited with immunities and vulnerability tweaks

-skeletons are best killed using bash/crush attacks, stabbing them is pretty useless now, so is shooting them with fireballs :shock:

happy dungeon hackin!
stewy
Craftsman

Gem of Ra

Post by stewy »

I am unable to download this game, is there any other way to get it?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

stewy
Craftsman

Post by stewy »

Thanks, that one worked. Now I will try it out. There are times you can be nice
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Beo is always nice to everyone - except to me. :(
stewy
Craftsman

Post by stewy »

Me again, It did not work. I put it into modules but nothing shows up in the list
stewy
Craftsman

Post by stewy »

He has his moments,
but he is ok. :roll:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm, worked for me, downloaded it and used it, it showed up as the 'Gem of Ra' using V0.49

Perhaps try it with a fresh install of RTC?
stewy
Craftsman

Post by stewy »

I will give that a try, thanks
stewy
Craftsman

Post by stewy »

That done it thanks again,
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

stewy wrote:He has his moments,
but he is ok. :roll:
What are you talking about? Beo is lovely and has done nothing here to annoy anyone. If you're trying to make a joke, then it didn't work.
Duckman
Adept

Re: [RTC] Gem Of Ra. Release version.

Post by Duckman »

Gameplay: Artisan (7(
This dungeon, while short and easy, was still flexible and enjoyable to play while it lasted.

Originality: Novice (3)
This dungeon had almost entirely already used ideas, but luckily there were exceptions. When playing, do not rely on the dungeons non-surprisingness...

Difficulty: Neophyte (2)
Easier than the original dm. Good for beginners (especially fins)

Puzzles: Neophyte (2)
There were no big or difficult puzzles, trough there were one or two very-easy-to-guess puzzles. Well, at least you did not get struct too easily

Size: Novice (3)
Not a big dungeon really, but still it held something to do

Replayability: Neophyte (2)
There are very very few secret areas, but there still is. No alternative routes however.

Craft: Journeyman (5)
Nothing escepially generous was done, but what was done was done well.

Game Ending: Apperentice (4)
A very predicable ending but better than nothing.

Atmosphere: Novice (3)
No effects, it did not feel like searching a catacomb for a gem.

Overall: Apperentice (4)
Better dungeons have been seen and done, but still this is not bad for a beginner. I can even recommend this dungeon if you like speedplaying or harder difficulty levels, or are a beginner.

Best part
What you have to do AFTER obtaining the gem

Worst part
Too little runes
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Polaris
Neophyte

Post by Polaris »

Hi
Just finished this one, it was short but cool to play.
Not too much puzzle :(
there were a long time i havent played and it was a good warm up.

Thanks for your time :)

Would have been cool to have a second chapter after tooking back the gem and opened the ra door maybe a trap that lead you to another dungeon
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Since I'm currently gathering editor/engine version information for ensuring compatibility - Gem of Ra has been created with RTC V0.48. The date of the latest update indicates though, that RTC V0.49 was already out then. Has the latest update been created with V0.48, or with V0.49?

Aside from that, I'm also backupping all custom dungeons currently, in order to make sure all dungeons are preserved an no data gets lost. Would you maybe willing to also provide the sourcefiles, please, so I can store them? Of course still you alone decide, whether they shall be public or not.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Antero
Neophyte

Post by Antero »

hello there, almost forgot i was fooling around here 2 years ago :D
With some ( a lot) searching i found my old files, hopefully these do the trick.
And to all future players, this dungeon is a simple tryout i was crafting, not anything fancy just some hack n slash with some walls you need to find a button for. if you like to play puzzles you play some other dungeons with those. i dont personally like magic alot so i was trying to reduce it a bit, now when i look at it, it really sucks on that department.
http://www.mediafire.com/?cv1325a3umzv8v2

with sources, and yes, this one was onlymade with RTC 0.48.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Cool! Thank you!

I'll add it to the other backup files these days.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Lai
Adept

Post by Lai »

at the labyrinth, where i could stop the skeleton-spawn?