How to use MONSTER_ATTRACTOR?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

How to use MONSTER_ATTRACTOR?

Post by Gambit37 »

This doesn't seem to work as one might expect. I set up some inactive attractors, then activate them with a switch. The monster I'm trying to attract just waits on the first attractor and never moves to the next attractor.

How is this supposed to work? Anyone used it successfully?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: How to use MONSTER_ATTRACTOR?

Post by Sophia »

I don't think it understands the concept of a "next" attractor.

Maybe put a trigger on the same square as the attractor that disables it?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, I just tried that and it seems to work. Looks like the attractor draws the creature to that tile and keeps it there until the attractor is disabled. If another attractor is nearby once you disable the current attractor, the creature goes to the next nearest one.
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

Do you know how close the next attractor has to be?
I know DM2 used an attractor for the shop and I think for the jumping wolf area. But say if I wanted to set up a 'race' between the characters and a monster for a side quest/plot how far away should/can i space my attractors?
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Not sure. It's difficult to tell without a lot of testing and I ain't got time for that. If you want to be sure, use them on each adjacent tile. Once a monster reaches the first attractor, have a monster-activated trigger that disables the attractor; the monster will then move to the next adjacent attractor. To be sure it travels in the right direction, you can also setup directional teleporters. I think this is what Adamski must have done for the Dragon run in Tower of Champions.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

You're pretty much spot on with that one, Gambit... if the attractor stays active the monster just sits there (it won't even attack you, in most cases) until it is deactivated.
Personally, I'd have them all start as inactive, then activate the first one. When it gets there, have it deactivate that attractor, and activate the next one, creating a chain. You're right about the directional teleporter thing though, you can even have triggers work the same way (so the trigger only activates once the monster is facing the right way).
You can even use triggers, delays & teleporters to force the monster to move exactly when & where you want it. There is actually quite alot of potential there, just using it... :P

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

An attractor works based on monster view range:
A Gazer will start to get attracted at 10 tiles away, where as a Mummy this will be 4 tiles and a Demon Thorn only 1 tile away.

The monsters will attack you if you get in their way going towards it (but they will try and find another way), or if they are facing you when in the attractor.

Even if the attractor is full, that is, no more monsters can stand on the tile, other monsters of the same type as being attracted will remain in one spot near the attractor.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.