What is DM Worth?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

What is DM Worth?

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i wonder what the value of DM in the original box unopened is worth to the serious collector
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Re: Scary sounds in DM!

Post by Seriously Unserious »

who knows.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

is there one that even exists out there? i am thinking in a hundred years, after there are 10 more DM styled games out there, that having an unopened box of the first and original DM would be priceless. i am confident that some of us now and in the future will eventually come up with a killer DM engine, it's a matter of time. everyone will want to play it, get away from the online gaming that can spy on your computer, slow it down, make some think they need to replace parts of their computer like my son and daughter who come to me to fix it when it gets problems, and they say , i'm going to get a new one, but after i fix it, they say thanks dad. i didn't have to buy new mem, graphics card etc.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Chaos-Shaman wrote:slow it down
IMO there are many games that need to follow that advice. Too many developers seem to thing that if the hardware can handle faster that they must make the game faster, that faster is always better and that games must operate at the extreme edge of what the hardware can handle. That attitude has ruined many a great game, with action flipping around so fast I can't keep up with it and instead of controlling the game with my controls, I end up just mashing the controls hoping to get lucky. That design IMO has ruined the sports genre since about the mid 90's or so. It's ruined many early-mid 90's era simulations (flight, driving, space travel, etc.) as the game ends up pushing pixels at us faster then the available controls can keep up with, faster then the human body can process and respond to in an intelligent way, and faster then can permit fun and enjoyment.

That's the thing about the DM-era games that keeps me coming back to them, the pace is just right, not too fast as to become frustrating, not too slow as to become boring. IMO the perfect games would combine DM-era gameplay, with modern era graphics and get modern graphics combined with that perfect level of speed for maximum enjoyment.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

to be honest SU, i am skeptical of ALL, in other words, careful
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: What is DM Worth?

Post by Gambit37 »

I have seen very good copies of Dungeon Master go for around the $50 mark on eBay.

I did see an excellent copy of the rare first edition a few years back and that went for less than $100 if I remember correctly.

Most versions that you find on eBay have bashed up boxes, because they did not use very good packaging (there was no inner box to stop the outer casing from collapsing). And even though it was a landmark game that has a place in the computer games all-time Hall of Fame, there are very few "serious collectors" of this sort of thing.

I suppose the only way to really find out the value is to find a mint copy of the game and then sell it on eBay :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The second hand DM copy I got many years ago was basically no more stable than a tiny cereal packet, with an extra little bit of cardboard inside to hold on to the floppy disk. Basically a gloried manual holder, and yeah, it has not lasted well over the years because of that :(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Indeed, they have not aged well!

The boxes for all the versions released in the Far East were made out of durable injection-moulded plastic. They have stood the test of time much better. Here's a few listed on eBay at some rather high prices (!)

Chaos Strikes Back [FM Towns] (No Gor coin though :-( )
Dungeon Master [FM Towns]

Here's some reasonable quality copies of DM:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dungeon-Maste ... 3383177a57
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUNGEON-MASTE ... 20d4492599

Reasonable quality Chaos Strikes Back(s) (again, no Gor coin)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dungeon-Maste ... 2314c7aba9
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dungeon-Maste ... 27d262f0f3

And this is how they usually look after 25 years squashed in a long-lost storage box!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUNGEON-MASTE ... 5657d090c3

Wow, here's a DM in EXCELLENT quality, starting price $129!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPLETE-Comm ... 43b78097b0

I no longer have that sort of money to spare, but a few years ago I would probably have been prepared to pay that for a top-quality copy!
(I must be quite, quite mad! ;-) )
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Chaos-Shaman wrote:i wonder what the value of DM in the original box unopened is worth to the serious collector
About Five BAZILLION pounds/dollars/euros*

... at least ;-)

(*delete as appropriate... )
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Gambit37 wrote: (I must be quite, quite mad! ;-) )
Hint of Dr Hildegarde Lanstrom....?
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

just no coin. now what happens if a new release of DM unlike any other comes out, will that increase its value? especially if someone has the coin.
keep your gor coin handy